A&H

Manchester City vs Tottenham

I'm surprised that some think that since "deliberate" was dropped from the law on fouls that you can't make a disciplinary distinction between inadvertently endangering the safety of an opponent (there was a harsh second yellow yesterday for not much more than a trip - I don't recall which game) and setting out to injure an opponent. Intent is back on the agenda anyway with "genuine attempt to play the ball" in the DOGSO calculation.
I don't know if it's the one you're referring to, but I noticed on MOTD that a Huddersfield player had been sent off for what looked to me to be 2 very soft yellows?

The Referee Store
I don't know if it's the one you're referring to, but I noticed on MOTD that a Huddersfield player had been sent off for what looked to me to be 2 very soft yellows?
Think it was MO. And Sky were reporting that he bowed to player pressure having already dismissed Deeney.

"intent" is not back "on the agenda" for anything other that one offence.....certainly not for SFP.

It makes no difference whether a player intended to endanger the safety of their opponent, only that they did. Most players will claim they "didn't mean it" or it was an "accident"......should that change the colour of the card? Of course not......if you endanger the safety of your opponent you should be sent off.

What's worse? Knowing that the challenge you are about to make is dangerous to your opponent, but making it anyway, or not having a clue that what you are doing is dangerous?

Of course it's worse if you know what you're doing. Roy Keane on Alfie Haaland? Effectively criminal assault because of the premeditation.

I was at the above game, the guy sitting in front of me went mental at the red, I trust at some point he has seen it back since and with time has conceeded that a red card might well have been the correct call !!

Ok...so if Keane had done it by accident, just mistimed it......you think it should be a caution and not a red?

All three are red cards for me.

I am finding EPL referees are less and less willing to make decisions that can changes the course of a BIG game these days.

Mark Clattenburg explained it by not wanting to be blamed for a team's loss (not in those words). I would just say lack of courage. Am I being harsh?

Last edited:
I essentially agree with you. The referee's job is to apply the laws to the best of his ability, which will include making game changing decisions such as red cards, penalties and goal/no goal decisions.

If a PL referee consistently proves unwilling to make those big decisions, the observations should lead to them being removed from the select group and someone who's making those big decisions successfully in the Championship given a go.

Reactions: one
Ok...so if Keane had done it by accident, just mistimed it......you think it should be a caution and not a red?
There's a whole world of difference between that and a mistimed tackle. A mistimed tackle would be SFP, that was VC.

Can we please stay on topic - the discussion in this forum should be the match in the title, if you want to expand the discussion to cover other matches at the weekend, please start new topic.

And can we avoid bring the Keane challenge back into discussion. That was a red then, so not relevant.

Soooooooo Ciley, and others, why didn't Mr Pawson deem the slight push in the back by Rose a penalty this week?:rolleyes:

Last week in the Liverpool v Everton game ANY contact was a pen I was told - same ref yesterday - different outcome?

Have now seen this and its a push/foul, big diff being the same referee as last week, cannot or does not see this. Its a call for either a ref to be in perfect position, or to take lead of AR1. Had referee seen this (his view is blocked by a Spurs player) am quite sure he would have given it
Shows you why no 2 incidents are the same even when they appear to be so. Angles !

Back