A&H

Managing being mobbed by players

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
There may be only one Adult LOTG but things that are given at the top levels are clearly not given as you decrease levels. As we’ve all discussed things given in Europe are not the same in the EPL and below. Clearly, if you turn up like Collina at the Dog & Duck and you’ll soon find you’ve got to earn your fee! I’ve seen it at first hand. In reverse though too, if you turn up at a decent level and completely wing it you’ll also fall foul quickly. It’s about tailoring your performance to what’s on show within the framework of the LOTG...

Not really answered the question, so I'm still in the dark about what you consider to be nerdy stuff.

We all know expectations change as you move up the levels, so you might be expected to manage dissent more before going for cards etc, but a foul is still a foul.

I referee womens games in the exact same way I referee men's games, I referee games on a Sunday morning the same way I referee games on a Saturday afternoon.

I always enforce jewelry, sock tape and undershorts/shirts etc.

But back to the original point, if you give a decision but you can't explain it then perhaps the decision is incorrect.

Last edited:
The Referee Review Area only exists in matches where VAR is in use, and is where Off field reviews are carried out.

Therefore a player approaching you during halftime is not of itself a caution, so you aren't letting them off with anything.
I can't believe you've just taken my post literally. I'm lost for words
I always enforce jewelry, sock tape and undershorts/shirts
Really? Youth football? Sunday League? Sock tape? Undershorts/shirts?

Just to post back on topic. I'm short on experience when it comes to being mobbed, but I'm aware that I need to 'know my captains' from the outset, as its these two people who I'll need to find sharpish when the hyenas sniff ref blood. Positively beckoning the captains must surely be the only way to effectively repel their mates. Players will feed off a referee's agitation and animation in these situations, so one needs to figure out a way of not getting flustered or overly aggressive in reply

Reactions: one
Sure. I mainly do youth leagues and we're told to be strict on undershirts/shorts. Same with tape/jewelry.
Same here, have to enforce the rules from a young age else it can lead to problems later on.
So, on a cold day, you're sending a young boy or girl back to the changing rooms (which may be some distance away) to change undershorts or thermals which are the black instead of red?
You must be a joy to the teams you encounter. He couldn't be quoted on this, but my RDO would not expect such a draconian application of law

Anyway, there are lots of other threads on this subject, so we ought to get back on topic

So, on a cold day, you're sending a young boy or girl back to the changing rooms (which may be some distance away) to change undershorts or thermals which are the black instead of red?
You must be a joy to the teams you encounter

Actually Big Cat I think the rules should be widely applied, and if you are too lenient with one set of players this may spread onto others, leading to potential issues as players begin to take liberties.

Obviously on a ghastly day one would explain the rule clearly to the managers to prevent future mistakes and avoid humiliating the players.

Some of us referees don’t let rule breaking go willy nilly

@LancsRefTakesTheL makes a decent point - managers know the rules and need to instill them into their charges. They shouldn't be surprised when their players are pulled up for what they are wearing, if it's not allowed. Simple. I wouldn't be sending a 12-year-old to get changed either, but would politely explain this to the coach and put it on my match report. Otherwise, he does the same next week and the next week and then we might as well discard all the rules to do with clothing, etc. and the same 12-year-old can wear his hoodie, wristwatch, gold necklace and dangly earrings for the end-of-season Cup Final.

Last edited by a moderator:
LancsRefTakesTheL makes a decent point - managers know the rules and need to instill them into their charges. They shouldn't be surprised when their players are pulled up for what they are wearing, if it's not allowed. Simple. I wouldn't be sending a 12-year-old to get changed either, but would politely explain this to the coach and put it on my match report. Otherwise, he does the same next week and the next week and then we might as well discard all the rules to do with clothing, etc. and the same 12-year-old can wear his hoodie, wristwatch, gold necklace and dangly earrings for the end-of-season Cup Final.

here here

They used to eat refs up on my Sundays League, you had a meet fire with fire! Quite a few of the Laws had to be stretched just for a game to take part. Start chucking players back for sock tape and the like and it was a lonely place when you’ve carded most on the pitch for the slightest of misdemeanours. Hot on the important stuff, flexible on the petty stuff as and when required. It’s supposed to be fun.... and it’s not all about you!

@LancsReferee @LancsRefTakesTheL suggest you search for and read topics on this subject as I don't want to 'do to death', a discussion which has already been murdered a few times! Just to point out, I excluded jewellery from my argument as it's not comparable to sock tape for instance. To be blunt, numerous games I did last year would've been called off if was hot on colours. As Sheff say's, it's not about 'you'

Last edited:
Really? Youth football? Sunday League? Sock tape? Undershorts/shirts?

I don't do youth football, but I always enforce jewelry, sock tape, and under shirts/Shorts.

These arent new laws, and players have a choice, adhere to the laws of the game or don't play.

I have to take my wedding ring off, so why can't big Dave put the correct colour tape on his socks?

It's never that simple...

It's always that simple, as they stand none of the laws are complicated, and at grass roots we are less likely to come across the more unusual/uncommon for things.

Of course, whether someone wants to go straight for the cards or choose to try and manage the game where possible is entirely up to individual referees.

I used to be a strict "apply the law the same every game" but you soon realise that match control is key and is maintained by refereeing appropriate to the level and the specific match.

Saturday 3pm - get that sock tape off
Sunday morning with hungover players - just get on with it

I used to be a strict "apply the law the same every game" but you soon realise that match control is key and is maintained by refereeing appropriate to the level and the specific match.

Saturday 3pm - get that sock tape off
Sunday morning with hungover players - just get on with it

You know, I've never had much of a problem, maybe one or two whinges, but certainly nothing that is going to compromise match control.

Of course, I don't go storming into the changing rooms shouting at people, its more of a general wander around checking kit as the players warm up and just having a quiet word along the lines of "can you change that sock tape before we kick off pal?"

When I say hi to the managers i mention that I'll be doing a lot check, and that I'll be looking for jewelry, sock tape etc so most people have sorted it before I check.

You know, I've never had much of a problem, maybe one or two whinges, but certainly nothing that is going to compromise match control.

Of course, I don't go storming into the changing rooms shouting at people, its more of a general wander around checking kit as the players warm up and just having a quiet word along the lines of "can you change that sock tape before we kick off pal?"

When I say hi to the managers i mention that I'll be doing a lot check, and that I'll be looking for jewelry, sock tape etc so most people have sorted it before I check.
I respect that you do that, but where I am I have never seen a referee inspect kit before a sunday league match and to do so would absolutely single myself out for unwanted ridicule from the teams before kick-off. Jewelry is a different matter - but again I have never seen a referee actively check beforehand at sunday league.

The only way to encourage referees to do so would be to tell all clubs and referees together that referees MUST do a kit check etc and report them for not doing so, but that just won't happen.

I respect that you do that, but where I am I have never seen a referee inspect kit before a sunday league match and to do so would absolutely single myself out for unwanted ridicule from the teams before kick-off. Jewelry is a different matter - but again I have never seen a referee actively check beforehand at sunday league.

Must be a regional thing then, where I am it's completely normal, even on a Sunday morning to do a quick check, some referees will go so far as to get the players to line up for the inspection, but most are more of a wander around and a quiet word type

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back