A&H

Manager's knowledge of LOTG Part 635

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Bear with me this is a good one.

Man City Women's manager said he didn't think a penalty should have been awarded against his team because the shot was going over the bar, finished off with this classic "....unless I've got the rules wrong, make of that what you will":rolleyes::eek::p

Edit - Stupidly I didn't mention the penalty was for handball :oops:

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Just seen the video. He looks so proud of himself. Seems like something a Sunday league coach would say 🤦‍♂️

Bear with me this is a good one.

Man City Women's manager said he didn't think a penalty should have been awarded against his team because the shot was going over the bar, finished off with this classic "....unless I've got the rules wrong, make of that what you will":rolleyes::eek::p

Edit - Stupidly I didn't mention the penalty was for handball :oops:
Most sports are probably the same though. I've been Rules Official at Professional Golf Tournaments; and most players were clueless. We're in a small minority (R's), vast majority of folk just want to play a game and don't care much for the Rules (as for calling them 'Laws', don't get me started! :flip:)

Way back in the day, I attended a local RA meet at Bournemouth FC, when Dave Webb was the manager (said it was back in the day) - I asked him what part of teaching players the LOTG took in their training - his reply “none, that’s your job on a Saturday afternoon” - I don’t think much has changed although of course there is quite an advantage to be gained for those teams/coaches that “do know” and can use the laws to their advantage …

Most sports are probably the same though. I've been Rules Official at Professional Golf Tournaments; and most players were clueless. We're in a small minority (R's), vast majority of folk just want to play a game and don't care much for the Rules (as for calling them 'Laws', don't get me started! :flip:)
See what you mean - but this is hardly a 'technical' one is it?

Ifs Mrs Pinner says, "What's that got to do with it" hearing the interview, then believe me its NOT a technical one! :p ;)

Sorry dear!:oops:

It was the "make of that what you will" comment that got me. Treating it as some kind of gotcha moment, when in fact he'd just made himself look a bit of an idiot :oops:

I sometimes found that, for all player behaviour is generally much better, managers in the WPL and WSL could be a real pain. They see how their male counterparts at the top level behave and think they should do the same. I binned one manager in the first minute, and what led him swearing at me was a dropped ball on the halfway line so hardly of any significance.

Some clubs on the WSL hated me when 4th official as I wouldn't react to them moaning. I'd start off explaining things, but if they wouldn't listen I just ignored them, you wouldn't believe how much it annoys them when they rant at you and you just stand there smiling 😂

I sometimes found that, for all player behaviour is generally much better, managers in the WPL and WSL could be a real pain. They see how their male counterparts at the top level behave and think they should do the same. I binned one manager in the first minute, and what led him swearing at me was a dropped ball on the halfway line so hardly of any significance.

Some clubs on the WSL hated me when 4th official as I wouldn't react to them moaning. I'd start off explaining things, but if they wouldn't listen I just ignored them, you wouldn't believe how much it annoys them when they rant at you and you just stand there smiling 😂
It's funny isn't it, when I'm on dugouts and we don't have 4th official at my level and I cba with the moaning after I've tried explaining to them, I just ignore them and turn around and smile every so often... If this is the effect it has on clubs, I don't think I'll change my ways... After all, my main focus is on the field of play, right?

It's funny isn't it, when I'm on dugouts and we don't have 4th official at my level and I cba with the moaning after I've tried explaining to them, I just ignore them and turn around and smile every so often... If this is the effect it has on clubs, I don't think I'll change my ways... After all, my main focus is on the field of play, right?
Absolutely, the best option is to ignore them. Unless of course they overstep the mark in which case make it clear you'll be getting the referee over.

Back