A&H

Managers/Coaches asking not to put cards through

Mustang23

Level 7 Referee
After a game the other day U19's I had the manager of one of the teams approach me and in a fairly abrupt manner, say to me " surely your not gonna put those yellows through ref".... "it wasnt that kind of game".

to which I answered something along the lines of if the cards came out the pocket then they are going through the system.... :)

To which i got a disapproving shake of the head and turn of the back from the manager.

Just wanted to see what peoples thoughts are on this?? and have you had any similar situations... how is the best way to deal with it. the manager had been on my case alot during the game from when i issued the caution to his player.

The Referee Store
After a game the other day U19's I had the manager of one of the teams approach me and in a fairly abrupt manner, say to me " surely your not gonna put those yellows through ref".... "it wasnt that kind of game".

to which I answered something along the lines of if the cards came out the pocket then they are going through the system.... :)

To which i got a disapproving shake of the head and turn of the back from the manager.

Just wanted to see what peoples thoughts are on this?? and have you had any similar situations... how is the best way to deal with it. the manager had been on my case alot during the game from when i issued the caution to his player.
Always put cards through. I lead with the line that it’s my neck on the line if I don’t. Can’t please everyone

Can't recall a manager/coach throwing that one at me before but lost count of the number of times the players have.

As a "get out" my stock response to the question is "Yes, of course I am mate. Why wouldn't I? Besides, I don't know who else might be here watching" .... ;)

I’ve had it a fair bit recently, often with the ‘it’s a cost of living crisis mate, you should be embarrassed putting them through’. Managers will always try anything to get their players off, just a quick ‘I’ve got no choice but to put them through’ and move on seems to do it

Couple of points from me:
"It wasn't that kind of game" - evidently it was as the cards were shown.

Standard response is of course they are going on.

The question really is what you do next. The way I see it there are two options:
1) report cards and warn manager if he asks you again or in the future you will report him for misconduct.
2) report cards and tell/report the manager for misconduct.

I go with the answer already given "i'll pretend you didn't ask that." luckily, with managers I ref regularly they have no issue and i'd like to think respect the decision. I tend to find it can be a mgr I've not seen before, therefore they're trying their luck

Only time I had this, I had my observer/Match Day Coach right next to me, didn't go well for the manager.

Then again, a mass punch up in the 84th, with 2 dismissals, was always gonna go through

Probably not. Wasn't really a serious suggestion.
Pretty sure you could apply a couple of these and call it a caution and if you want to be really picky, call it 'confrontation' and its a red!

Caution offences include (but are not limited to): • clearly/persistently not respecting the confines of their team’s technical area • delaying the restart of play by their team • deliberately entering the technical area of the opposing team (non-confrontational) • dissent by word or action including: • throwing/kicking drinks bottles or other objects • action(s) which show(s) a clear lack of respect for the match official(s) e.g. sarcastic clapping • entering the referee review area (RRA) • excessively/persistently gesturing for a red or yellow card • excessively showing the "TV signal" for a VAR ‘review’ • acting in a provocative or inflammatory manner • persistent unacceptable behaviour (including repeated warning offences) • showing a lack of respect for the game

Having spoken to the county FA about this, they want you to report the coach for asking this.

I had one where the manager said to his players "the bookings go through and it all goes into the ref's end of season p*ss up jar, but next time stop being a pr*ck on the pitch Callum (striker who got booked)"

Back