A&H

Manager walking around the pitch

DaveMac

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
So had my first 4G match today. As mentioned on here its killed my legs and back as had not give at all. Also it plays so fast, the ball whizzes about. Plus it just doesnt seem right, was a cup semi final, but felt more like a training game as just wasnt grass. I digress.

One of the managers today walked around the pitch during the match. I only really noticed it a couple of times, as I rarely keep tabs on the managers. HE didnt cause any issues and was actually a really decent guy, with a well drilled, respectful team. But was just wondering is this something others would put a stop to, or any problems it might cause?

The Referee Store
Hmmm. If he's not causing a problem and no-one has an issue with it, then to be honest I'd leave him be. Why create a problem for yourself when it doesn't really exist in the first place?

4G pitches are pony.

And I'd let the manager crack on. As long as by walking around, you mean outside the white lines!

Inside or outside of the handrail ? (If there is one)
I guess inside I wouldn't mind if he's absolutely silent (although it would be an odd attitude, I never considered it before), outside it's not even my right to tell him anything

Inside or outside of the handrail ? (If there is one)
I guess inside I wouldn't mind if he's absolutely silent, outside it's not even my right to tell him anything

A lot of 3G pitches here dont have handrails. At least now my way. Just a fence with a 3 yard space around the edge of the playing field.

I didn't have any issues with it as he pretty much didn't say anything at all. I've just never seen anyone do it before.

Agreed 4G are pony. It's great the gsme goes ahead, but it doesn't feel like proper football.

The only time I have ever enforced this was, ironically on a 4G pitch, during a semi-final where I was an AR. The etiquette of the cup was that the managers would stay in their own technical areas... One manager decided he would have a wander around so I told him (more than once) to return to his area.

Other than that I wouldn't bother unless he was causing issues.

Was this a youth game? If so, no managers or coaches behind the goal... no problem with wandering, but would prefer him to keep it to one side of the pitch only. Again, for youths, this helps them distinguish between the screaming coming from parents and their coaches...

Oh yeah I don't let anyone stand behind the goal, I never used to enforce it and when I didn't 9/10 someone would complain about someone being stood behind the goal. Therefore now for me "it's the sidelines or the car park". although 99/100 times I've asked politely and people have obliged; only one person has tried it on so I gave him the above quote and he quickly moved.

Back