A&H

Manager not paying up.

Dino Ref

Had a game on Saturday where the home team got beat. Manager wasn't very happy but rather than come and give me any stick decided to just try and not talk to me. Went and found him in the changing rooms and he says "unless you want £6 mate I dont know what you're doing here".

I told him that he owed me £30 and he said "what do you want me to do?"

I waited outside the changing rooms for about 10 mins before he finally came out and asked the away team to pay the other £24. The rules of the cup stated that the home team pays 100% of the fee. Me and the away team told him this, he then goes back to the changing rooms for around 20 mins before coming out and saying "I've got £26 and I'll transfer you the rest." At the time I was debating whether or not to just tell him to keep it all and just transfer me the whole £30 but I had a feeling he wouldn't so I just took the £26. He then said as I was walking away "are you really gonna barter over £4" to which I said yes and simply walked away.

It's been 2 days and he still hasn't sent it. Just wondering how long I give him before I report it. I was thinking send him a reminder on Wednesday and then report Saturday if nothing happens?

The Referee Store
I would report him now. His club will get fined for nonpayment if it's in the league rules. I would ask just once for the money in future and then report them if they play silly buggers.

Exactly why fees should be paid in cash on the day.
You should have advised him that if he didn't have the fee there and then you would report him to the competition.
You would be surprised how quickly the remainder turned up.

Never chase the money. If the manager is being an ar@e about things, just say fine, please BACS it to me, I'll get my ref sec to send you my details. Then do exactly that report him to your ref sec or league , you'll get your money and he will cop a fine....

Personally, I wouldn’t have waited around for it and been as charitable as you have been. Report it to the competition and let them sort it out from there.

Do not wait around like that.
If my money isn't paid 20 mins after FT I'm in my car and off.
Message to league, I get paid and nice little fine for the @rseh*le

It's been 2 days and he still hasn't sent it. Just wondering how long I give him before I report it. I was thinking send him a reminder on Wednesday and then report Saturday if nothing happens?

As a League Treasurer, please report immediately to the league. Do not chase up the missing amount with the club!

Once these are reported to the leagues, they will pay you directly from their funds and reclaim the fees from the club. For the York League, the fine is equal to the match fee - so we effectively double the cost to the club. The clubs officials are normally pi$$ with the managers for causing these fines.

What should the OP have done in the situation above where only part of the fee was offered? Let's face it, he is never seeing the £4 again and although it's not a great deal of money it's more the principle.

Would he have been correct in refusing the payment unless it was all present and then reporting it to the league? Having to pay the match official isn't a surprise and they have to do it every week. It's therefore not unreasonable to expect it to be prepared in advance.

What should the OP have done in the situation above where only part of the fee was offered? Let's face it, he is never seeing the £4 again and although it's not a great deal of money it's more the principle.

Would he have been correct in refusing the payment unless it was all present and then reporting it to the league? Having to pay the match official isn't a surprise and they have to do it every week. It's therefore not unreasonable to expect it to be prepared in advance.

Depends on level and if expenses involved, but sometimes no harm asking for money in advance if possible. No chance of getting dragged into post match debates that way!

I've always had the impression that payment in advance was more or less the universal procedure, certainly has been in all the leagues and competitions I've refereed in. Failure to pay a referee is usually looked upon very seriously by leagues and associations. I recall in my early referring days I missed collecting my fee (no issues, just a misunderstanding). The home team secretary phoned as soon as I got home to apologise and arrange payment - he was terrified I might report him!

Here in Australia it is always pay in advance...no money, game forfeited. It's such a simple and obvious idea that I am amazed it is not universal practice.

As a League Treasurer, please report immediately to the league. Do not chase up the missing amount with the club!

Once these are reported to the leagues, they will pay you directly from their funds and reclaim the fees from the club. For the York League, the fine is equal to the match fee - so we effectively double the cost to the club. The clubs officials are normally pi$$ with the managers for causing these fines.

Similar to what I used to do. When this happened the club got 48 hours to pay the referee in full, if they hadn't done so by that time the league paid the referee and fined the club double the fee. If they did it again, or it was aggravated such as they refused to pay as opposed to forgetting, that 48 hours didn't happen.

Be wary of asking for the money in advance if the league rules don't permit that. Most clubs will be fine, but it can send out the wrong impression in that you are just there for the money.

Agree with all of the above. Would just add that the OP suggests that he might have gone into the home changing rooms? I'd definitely advise against that as a general rule! If you can't find the manger and suspect he's in the changing rooms, just collar the next player who goes in or out and ask them to send the manager out to you.

Back