A&H

manager/ coach abuse.

callumb

Hi guys just thought I would share my experience of today's u 11s game , I am 15 and have been refereeing for over 1 year.
The manager of team A all game questioned every decision I made and I heard him say more than one time that's poor ref , we was shouting across to me I just ignored him and got on with the game ,
Then I give an offside decision was was clearly offside,I then heard him turn to the spectators saying isn't this ref poor, I just ignored him but thinking about it now should have had a word or even sent him off.
Can I ask what you guys would have done.please.
Cheers

The Referee Store
I would of had a word with him and told him that if I hear one more word about my performance come out of his mouth then I would be sending in a misconduct report. Also you say that the coach turned to the spectators? As in the spectators were on the same side as the coaches? If you can help it you should always have them on opposite sides of the field to each other

Thank Liam, yes they were on the same side of the spectators good advice thanks every day is a school day. Your right because all the parents started to shout as well , i don't mind the odd comment but when I think about it more it was out of order . Cheers

Coaches on same /opposite side as spectators, absolutely not your call, Callum

Stop play, indicate coach to join you in a neutral space, pitchside, away from spectators if possible, remind him that 'this is a respect league' (hopefully it is), that his comments are less than respectful, that this is his first and last warning and one more misplaced word from him and you'll be reporting him for misconduct....

....then let go of his testicles and get back to your match

Dont take crap from anyone. Always remember youre their to enjoy yourself just the same as the players are and if somebody is trying to ruin your enjoyment, the MAYBE deserve one warning and then its a misconduct report to the FA. We all need to be stronger on this. Dissent is a very loose term for a reason, any disagreement is dissent (to the dictionary definition). If someone is getting on your nerves then bin em, manager or not.

Good luck today mate.

And crikey, if this is how they are treating 15 year old refs..... no wonder a lot of countys have problems covering games! Disgraceful.

Dont take crap from anyone. Always remember youre their to enjoy yourself just the same as the players are and if somebody is trying to ruin your enjoyment, .

@HertsFinest its getting dangerously close to me having to put another of your quotes in my signature! Had some issues myself today with mouthy managers and spectators and normally wouldnt have done anything about it. But I'm going to do as much as possible as its more than once I've had grief from this team and its not my job, refereeing is my hobby. If I went fishing I wouldnt accept people coming up all the time and telling me what small fish I'd caught all day long.

@callumb dont let the idiots you come across grind you down. Sounds

If you can help it you should always have them on opposite sides of the field to each other

How the hell would you do that ? The benches are where they are and even if there are no benches, how would you prevent spectators to stand where they want to ?

As for the op, you should have a word with the manager the first time he's making a comment such as "that was poor ref", the second time he's off, simple. I can ignore managers who calls for fouls, hands, throw etc.. until some point, but if he's directly making comments about my "poor" refereeing, that's strike one, and in football, two and you're out :D

How the hell would you do that ? The benches are where they are and even if there are no benches, how would you prevent spectators to stand where they want to ?
In the youth league I ref in it is in the competition rules that the spectators must be on the opposite side to the coaches. The majority of venues have no benches so there is no reason why the coaches cant move if the spectators can't. Grounds which have benches generally have a barrier around the pitch aswell meaning there would be no problems with spectators standing where they want. The rule only really applies when the match is being played in a field somewhere

Ok so you can ask the coaches to move, what if there are spectators on the other side as well ?

As for the op, you should have a word with the manager the first time he's making a comment such as "that was poor ref", the second time he's off, simple. I can ignore managers who calls for fouls, hands, throw etc.. until some point, but if he's directly making comments about my "poor" refereeing, that's strike one, and in football, two and you're out :D
Just to clear it up yacinho, in England on respect leagues the parents have to be on one side of the pitch only, behind an FA approved respect barrier, usually a rope barrier. This is put up by someone before the start of the match so it is possible to have them on the opposite side to the managers. Also we rarely get dugouts/benches at junior level so managers go the side they want. If you ask nicely I'm sure most would set up camp on a specific side away from the parents.

Reactions: LC
Thank's guys I get it now :D

So you know, here the pitches must have handrails all around, spectators can stand where they want behind it, and 95% of the time there are benches

But now that I'm thinking about it, you're talking under 13 football only ? So half pitch ?

Some leagues have it in their rules.

I'm sure you're probably right, josh, but some don't ....

...because it's an 'f.a.' recommendation and not an obligation

.... which is why I 'corrected' hull

I'm sure you're probably right, josh, but some don't ....

...because it's an 'f.a.' recommendation and not an obligation

.... which is why I 'corrected' hull
Fair Enough. Personally IMO it should be an obligation.

Doubt any clubs know the difference between and obligation and reccomendation... I'm sure that if I walk over to any manager (in my leagues at least) and ask him to put up camp on a certain side of the pitch that he will do it...

Back