A&H

Manager calls after game

All our digital match cards (team sheets) have the phone numbers of the coaches and referees. This is great in case a team does not show or on the rare occasion something needs to be asked/told BEFORE the match.

(The digital match card also has e.g. location, GPS link, links to team/player histories and previous cards/bans, links to league tables… competition rules, LotG… etc etc. genius really.)
Have a similar system, but which roles can see which role's contact details are selectable options. And non of the systems I have worked in have allowed team officials to see contact details of match officials.

This is not as risky at higher levels where there is a lot more professionalism, but also at those higher levels game details are much less likely to change last minute and there is always a mutual organiser to do the comms.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I have a much better solution which I use with telemarketers. As soon as he starts with bla bla bla, quietly put the phone down without hanging up and go get a nice cup of coffee. He will have a nice chat with himself. If he calls back again, repeat the process. He will eventually get the message 😁

I have a much better solution which I use with telemarketers. As soon as he starts with bla bla bla, quietly put the phone down without hanging up and go get a nice cup of coffee. He will have a nice chat with himself. If he calls back again, repeat the process. He will eventually get the message 😁
Then how do you find out about the most advantageous energy prices?

• Haha
Reactions: one
Off topic, but this reminded me of one of my favoruite sitcom sketches ever...

Back on topic, there's no way I'm taking a call from a manager to complain/question a decision after a game. If you have a question and can be respectful I will happily speak to you on the FOP at the end of the match, but once I leave the ground that conversation is done.

One leauge I ref in has leauge rule stating they can ask you questions up to 2 1/2 hours after game so it would exist there.
However I doubt it was this leauge you were on.
How has that league rule been approved by a CFA? Either every league across the country is allowed to or someone didn't read through a leagues rules properly :rolleyes:

How has that league rule been approved by a CFA? Either every league across the country is allowed to or someone didn't read through a leagues rules properly :rolleyes:
Tbh I don't think the rule exists. It's definitely not in SCOR and I doubt any CFA would sanction the addition of it to the comp rules.

One leauge I ref in has leauge rule stating they can ask you questions up to 2 1/2 hours after game so it would exist there.
However I doubt it was this leauge you were on.
And if you refuse to answer the phone within that 2.5 hours, is there a punishment?

No idea the one call I’ve ever had I answered and yes CFA approved the rule we can report if abusive as standard but it’s a rule
If there's a rule, there has to then be a punishment for not following the rule. Otherwise its not really a rule.

All leagues should have fine tariffs for each of their rules, but no league has the power to fine a referee. So all they could do is report the referee for "misconduct", and I suspect any CFA would just throw that out once they'd stopped laughing.

In summary it is a pointless and totally unenforceable rule.

Every time this thread pops up my reaction is WTF. Why oh why does anyone think coaches should have a right to demand a conversation with a referee after a match. Does anything good ever come out of that?

The only reason I can think of, is if they are trying to get the game replayed over the referee making a major blunder.

Back