A&H

Man Utd vs barca

ollie Hamill

late flag is a great flag
Level 7 Referee
what do people think about the penalty call in the first half of the game. personally too soft for me but eager to get other people's opinions. what a game it is though.

The Referee Store
IMHO very creative dive. There’s trifling contact then the attacker spins himself to the ground. In slo mo it looks like a grassroots TikTok clip. No wonder Bruno was miffed.

Penalty decisions are difficult but there is a challenge with consistency at the highest level. A clear push on Nunez isn’t enough but this was.

Just not a foul for me.
Does the contact cause the end result..no.
Comes down to it being a contact sport. Contact is to be expected. This isn't even an in or out the box debate imo. Its not a foul anywhere.

Problem again comes to most people involved in football are expecting this to be a foul. Even the Man Utd supporting pundits were saying it was a correct decision, and this demonstrates the problems the game has got itself into. At low levels there's no way I'm giving this, but if I was miraculously promoted to a FIFA official overnight I suspect I would be expected to give it.

He pulls him by the hand and not just for a split second but takes him on a good spin. That's beyond "contact". I'm surprised anyone is disputing this decision.

He pulls him by the hand and not just for a split second but takes him on a good spin. That's beyond "contact". I'm surprised anyone is disputing this decision.
You criticised the forum for having a “herd mentality” after people defended the decision to overturn the Arsenal goal against United, which I thought whilst maybe not C and O, was a foul on Eriksen

Now the forums goes against a decision that’s now surprising. I think the opinion amongst the vast majority of fans is that it’s soft I think a discussion is warranted

The player spins himself IMHO. There’s not remotely enough force in the defender’s action. It’s a creative dive. To me this is crystal clear from the footage. I really don’t want a pen here. But I also understand that when a defender in the box reaches out a hand and it contacts the shoulder or body, then they are stupidly asking for a reaction from the opponent and officials.

Holding is very clearly defined in the laws definition section, as below ...

A holding offence occurs only when a player’s contact with an opponent’s body or equipment impedes the opponent’s movement

So the fact he was holding him, even for more than a split second, is neither her nor there, the question is did that holding impede the opponent's movement. The view from most referees seems to be that it didn't, and rather the attacker has felt the holding and thrown himself over, but it appears that "the game" is entirely comfortable with a penalty being given here. 30 years ago they wouldn't have been, and the attacker would have been laughed at for being so weak, but now it appears everyone is so accustomed to players feeling contact and falling over that it is just accepted.

As said above, once you place hands on the opposition you give the ref a decision to make. Was there a need to place hands on him? No, and i'm a man Utd fan!

Back