A&H

Man U v Villa

But attackers are just swerving into the defender's lane... it's like an insurance scam!
Good analogy. I don't know about where you are, but if I drive into another car's back, regardless of why the other car stopped/slowed down, it is my fault for driving too close to them. I can't make the excuse of he stopped suddenly for no reason. He may very well have done it deliberately to claim insurance. There are no lanes in football or changing lanes. Whatever direction a player is running (even diagonal) is the correct lane for them. If the opponent (attacker or defender) has the front position and coming across, then he has the right of way and defenders should avoid collision. You see this done by defenders very frequently in games - because they know it and accepted it. whether or not it should be 'the rule' is beside the point, it is the accepted one by defenders, attackers and referees.

Now if they are running side by side then a different story, the defender can continue his line of run or even swerve across somewhat to the attackers line of run and initiate a fair charge.

The Referee Store
Back