A&H

Man U v Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
I haven't seen it, but I'm 'red all over'. Got no time for cheating, especially that which causes fighting
By the way, what's black'n'white and red all over... The Northern Echo or Andy Caroll's elbows?

This is a stretch
Okay, perhaps it's a stretch about the 'incredibly dangerous nature of the challenge'. Doesn't take away from the rest of the post or the example given. I'm honestly asking why'd you even reconcile yourself with keeping a player that makes a challenge like this on the pitch instead of doing 'what the game expects' or, what I'd be arguing, what the laws of the game demand. Such fouls don't deserve to get recognition, and I'd wager that Shaw'd be off hadn't he been 6-1 down. He wouldn't even blink an eye after seeing Taylor give him the red. And, as said prior, I do respect others' opinions. I just think this debate should be whether it's SFP or VC and not if it is reckless. Rusty got it right, I don't think there's any continental pitch where Shaw stays on with more than one second's thought after he made that tackle

Okay, perhaps it's a stretch about the 'incredibly dangerous nature of the challenge'. Doesn't take away from the rest of the post or the example given. I'm honestly asking why'd you even reconcile yourself with keeping a player that makes a challenge like this on the pitch instead of doing 'what the game expects' or, what I'd be arguing, what the laws of the game demand. Such fouls don't deserve to get recognition, and I'd wager that Shaw'd be off hadn't he been 6-1 down. He wouldn't even blink an eye after seeing Taylor give him the red. And, as said prior, I do respect others' opinions. I just think this debate should be whether it's SFP or VC and not if it is reckless. Rusty got it right, I don't think there's any continental pitch where Shaw stays on with more than one second's thought after he made that tackle
Again, wild guesses about "what might happen elsewhere" are 100% irrelevant. I also feel like this is cheating and I also want to send a player off who does it. The problem is, that's not supported in law unless you make some seriously ambitious leaps in logic.

If it's genuinely dangerous? Great, send him off. But it's not, so you can't use that justification.
Has he just belted someone off the ball out of petulance? Great, send him off. But he didn't, it's clearly a tactical foul, so you can't use that justification.
If it's full DOGSO? Great, send him off. But it's only actually SPA, so you can't use that justification.
But it's clear SPA AND a reckless tackle. Sorry, the "simultaneous offences" clause says you only penalise the most severe, so you can't even double-yellow him.

At this point, I don't know what more to do other than shrug. If you as individual referees find yourself in this position and want to send him of because you've "Got no time for cheating" then that's your own decision. Doesn't make it correct though.

Last edited:
Again, wild guesses about "what might happen elsewhere" are 100% irrelevant. I also feel like this is cheating and I also want to send a player off who does it. The problem is, that's not supported in law unless you make some seriously ambitious leaps in logic.

If it's genuinely dangerous? Great, send him off. But it's not, so you can't use that justification.
Has he just belted someone off the ball out of petulance? Great, send him off. But he didn't, it's clearly a tactical foul, so you can't use that justification.
If it's full DOGSO? Great, send him off. But it's only actually SPA, so you can't use that justification.
But it's clear SPA AND a reckless tackle. Sorry, the "simultaneous offences" clause says you only penalise the most severe, so you can't even double-yellow him.

At this point, I don't know what more to do other than shrug. If you as individual referees find yourself in this position and want to send him of because you've "Got no time for cheating" then that's your own decision. Doesn't make it correct though.

Okay, I'll stick to what'd happen on the other side of the pond and I'm glad European refs are sending off for either VC or SFP for these. Both are accepted and I've seen assessors lower scores for not applying the law if they let these slide. I think in law, you're absolutely allowed to send off for these tackles and it's the guidance we're getting.
I'll just close by saying that I disagree with how you'd treat this on your pitch but I respect your opinion.

I've seen it now. It was a dismissal for LS all day long. Too many persons pore over the wording of the Law when the correct decision is as clear as day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back