A&H

Man in the middle documentary

The Referee Store
Always wondered why recording isn’t more common?

Can’t think of a better training aide for new referees as well as referees on the promotion ladder.

Always wondered why recording isn’t more common?

Can’t think of a better training aide for new referees as well as referees on the promotion ladder.
New referees can learn from it but there is also the danger of taking things out of context. Refereeing games in UEFA compared to ithe ones in your first year (or in your next several for that matter) is like chalk and cheese. That danger doesn't apply to refs with a bit more experience because it is much easier for them to figure "well I know I can't do that on a Sunday morning" or other differences.

One thing for sure, it will be a good motivational watch for everyone.

Can't say I'll be watching it. Despise European Football AND the way it's refereed; to the point that I see that community of referees as complicit WRT the state of modern football

New referees can learn from it but there is also the danger of taking things out of context. Refereeing games in UEFA compared to ithe ones in your first year (or in your next several for that matter) is like chalk and cheese.
When I teach classes for new refs for AYSO youth games, I explicitly tell then not to watch pro soccer to understand what fouls are.

But even newbies can learn about positioning, teamwork, or signalling from the pros.

Reactions: one
Not suggesting top level (PL, CL etc) referees are the best to use as examples. Plenty could be learned from mic’d up refs in the football league.

Anyone ever covertly recorded a game they've refereed?
Image of the game might take an interesting hit, if full audio from a difficult game made into mainstream media

Enjoyed it - obviously as made by UEFA, every decision shown was correct, every VAR intervention worked perfectly and they had a nice tame journalist to add 'balance' - cough! cough! - but it was interesting to see behind the scenes and didn't the crowd seem...well.......... loud!

Enjoyed it - obviously as made by UEFA, every decision shown was correct, every VAR intervention worked perfectly and they had a nice tame journalist to add 'balance' - cough! cough! - but it was interesting to see behind the scenes and didn't the crowd seem...well.......... loud!
I mistakenly tolerated a few minutes of this UEFA Commercial before spontaneously exhibiting a strange bout of nausea 🤢

No, but you can't seriously think that the Premier League does VAR better than UEFA??

No, but you can't seriously think that the Premier League does VAR better than UEFA??
Not sure how you get to that supposed opinion of mine from what I wrote - but to answer your question - no I don't.

As I've posted numerous times and as has been discussed on here at length many times, I'm not in favour of VAR, full stop, but this isn't the thread to go into all that......again!

Not sure how you get to that supposed opinion of mine from what I wrote - but to answer your question - no I don't.

As I've posted numerous times and as has been discussed on here at length many times, I'm not in favour of VAR, full stop, but this isn't the thread to go into all that......again!

My inference was based on your objection to the "tame journalist to add 'balance'" comment.

My inference was based on your objection to the "tame journalist to add 'balance'" comment.
Yes that was a little unfair as Henry Winter is a respected journalist - but still not sure that in any way infers criticism or otherwise of the PL's approach to/use of VAR.

However, to expand the discussion, I thought it was interesting that there was one incident, an offside, where VAR checked, informed the referee and then said he was checking 'the rest'. It can be seen that the referee was clearly irritated by this as he replied 'Quickly, quickly we have to restart'.

This infers that the offside check had taken sometime already but also that as far as the referee was concerned there was nothing else to check. If the VAR HAD seen something specific, he would have said, I'm checking 'Possible handball' or whatever, but to say 'the rest' implies he was just spooling back 'just in case' - that's what I have big problem with - Head of Referees at UEFA said on the programme VAR was for 'clear and obvious errors' - now if VAR is looking 'just in case' for something that the referee hasn't seen, he hasn't seen himself in real time and no one has appealed for it, than it can't be 'clear and obvious'

To finish on a positive - you have to think that the Man City v Tottenham game must have been a huge challenge to referee - so much going on!

Final 'neutral' point - I was surprised that the chats with the players by the referee were so rudimentary - people often come on here and ask how they should address players - but there was nothing too clever or profound on show here - I'm guessing that maybe because in most cases the language used by players/referees may not be their native language in one or both cases?

Spot on regarding the ‘other checks’. I’ve always been uncomfortable with the lack of balance with VAR protocol in that it’s actively looking for reasons to rule goals out.

Personally I’ve always been a fan of the ‘challenges’ system deployed by cricket and various US sports.

If it’s not a clear and obvious error and nobody is appealing for anything, then crack-on!

Back