A&H

Man city v southampton

The Referee Store
tenor.png

It gets worse the more you watch it........I wonder what the explanation will be to justify VAR not giving it........surely they're not going down the line of NOT Clear and Obvious all of a sudden. After a season of bizarre interjections they suddenly turn a blind eye on a most clear penalty so far

A decision had to go against Man City eventually.

Has to be GBH for VAR to give something against a 'keeper this season.

According to the Independent (which isn't independent):

"Phil Foden was denied a penalty during the first half of Manchester City's meeting with Southampton as referee Jon Moss felt that goalkeeper Alex McCarthy touched the ball.
"It is understood that the VAR did not feel footage of the incident conclusively proved that McCarthy had not touched the ball and therefore did not ask Moss to review his decision on the pitchside monitor."

"Stupid", "Stockley Park on a toilet break" (Souness). "In - cred - i -ble" (Guardiola).

Everyone knows if you get a stud on the ball by law in CANNOT be a foul. Duhhh!
Seriosuly though at what point do we assume refs are just trying to wind us up with these non-calls?
Refs are being made to look complete idiots and it affects the image of lower leageu refs as well.
You can all expect more dissent when you go back to refereeing.

It was bizzare not to award a penalty. When you see some of the ridiculous penalties that were given earlier in the season for handball following VAR interventions, its no wonder fans look at the no pen last night and assume that Stockley Park is a bit mad.

Posting now I've calmed down slightly! I just don't see how anybody blessed with the gift of sight can look at a replay and think that it isn't a penalty.

This isn't even about the VAR system, it's about experienced referees making basic errors every single week. Ultimately the system is only as good as the referees implementing it and they're just not good enough. It's no wonder fans/managers/players (and even referees) are running out of patience.

Last edited:
Everyone knows if you get a stud on the ball by law in CANNOT be a foul. Duhhh!
Seriosuly though at what point do we assume refs are just trying to wind us up with these non-calls?
Refs are being made to look complete idiots and it affects the image of lower leageu refs as well.
You can all expect more dissent when you go back to refereeing.
Bring it on. If it helps with my development I'm all for it 👍

If it's not my fault...

I think that came across wrong, I wouldn't say all for it, more it won't bother me I suppose.
Ahh, that makes sense! I know us referees are a special breed, but actively wanting more dissent would be a bit much haha!

Posting now I've calmed down slightly! I just don't see how anybody blessed with the gift of sight can look at a replay and think that it isn't a penalty; it's compounded by the fact that the VAR was one our most experienced and supposedly best officials in Martin Atkinson.

This isn't even about the VAR system, it's about experienced referees making basic errors every single week. Ultimately the system is only as good as the referees implementing it and they're just not good enough. It's no wonder fans/managers/players (and even referees) are running out of patience.
VAR was Andrew Madley, not Martin Atkinson

Thought I'd heard Martin Tyler say it was Atkinson. Post amended.

he did, not like the comms team to get it wrong though eh!

on that note i though hinchcliffe came across as the worst co comms ive heard (and when compared to the other dross out there that's some achievement) so negative and awful opinions

Back