A&H

Man City v Burton

You only have to look at the FA cup games last weekend to realise that this isn’t really the case. Yes, you have your big clubs like every cleague but to says it’s not competitive it’s a stretch. That’s why we’ve only had one invincible side in the premier league era and situations like Burnley getting into Europe last season and recently promoted Wolves flying high. Also below the prem, the championship is incredibly competitive
The top clubs would win the FA cup every year if it was a priority for them. I saw a stat that they've still won it 18 out of the last 20 seasons; and that's whilst putting out reserve teams. Yes, Wolves beat Liverpool, Fulham got beat, blah blah... but the cream will still rise to the top
Don't get me wrong, I rarely watch any game involving the top 6 (other than cursory interest in the refereeing etc), but I do watch other games. I'm a huge fan of The Championship and can easily transcend this to the EFL and non-league. The Championship is a excellent league, hugely competitive, honest, unspoiled, proper loyal fans and so on

The Referee Store
The top clubs would win the FA cup every year if it was a priority for them. I saw a stat that they've still won it 18 out of the last 20 seasons; and that's whilst putting out reserve teams. Yes, Wolves beat Liverpool, Fulham got beat, blah blah... but the cream will still rise to the top
Don't get me wrong, I rarely watch any game involving the top 6 (other than cursory interest in the refereeing), but I do watch other games. I'm a huge fan of The Championship and can easily transcend this to the EFL and non-league
Isn’t this to be expected though? In all tiers of football and even in other sports, professional or not, the best teams will usually win.

Isn’t this to be expected though? In all tiers of football and even in other sports, professional or not, the best teams will usually win.
There are no 25/1 or 33/1 shots in the Championship or EFL
Try picking 3 winners on a football coupon, particularly in the Championship. Good Luck with that

Maybe it’s ironic that Leeds, Norwich and SUFC all drifted out of the FA cup last weekend lwith bigger fish to fry. We had Clough a few years ago in L1, decent cup runs including FA cup semi final but the league suffered!

Maybe it’s ironic that Leeds, Norwich and SUFC all drifted out of the FA cup last weekend lwith bigger fish to fry. We had Clough a few years ago in L1, decent cup runs including FA cup semi final but the league suffered!
Fans will always claim to focus on the league when they are knocked out at home to Barnet ;)

you think the English game is uncompetitive? 6 teams (plus a miracle 7th) that could win the league and or have a genuine shot at the champions league every year. Have you looked at France/Germany/Spain/Netherlands/Portugal etc - and those are just the countries where TWO teams have a genuine chance of winning but in reality it's mostly one team always winning the league and national cup. If the definition of competitive is one super team winning every year and all the other teams from the top league and the second league being about the same level of average I would not prefer that.

easier to say as a fan of a top 6 team I admit...but still think English football is wonderfully competitive.
Well that depends on the definition of competitive. Each of the last two seasons the top 4 teams accumulated 333 point and that's a record. This season is well on the way to break that record.
The bottom two or three teams are on the other hand performing poorer than they have in a long time.

It is the amount of money that makes it uncompetitive.

Man City probably had enough money on the pitch in terms of weekly wages to build a new stadium for Burton.

There have been 4 burton teams with a different suffix

Correct , Burton Albion, Burton United, Burton Wanderers & Burton Swifts, all completely separate clubs, all from the same town have played League football!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: es1
Obviously delighted for us blues but at 9-0 I felt sorry for all round top man and one time decent player for us Nigel Clough

Obviously delighted for us blues but at 9-0 I felt sorry for all round top man and one time decent player for us Nigel Clough
He was a decent player Nigel, We relegated a decent Forest side with Father and Son involved. I loved his Dads no nonesense attitude, a true football genius, he hated referees getting grief too from the media!!! Very honest man, a labour supporter, he hated those cheating Leeds players too!!! :mad:

He was a decent player Nigel, We relegated a decent Forest side with Father and Son involved. I loved his Dads no nonesense attitude, a true football genius, he hated referees getting grief too from the media!!! Very honest man, a labour supporter, he hated those cheating Leeds players too!!! :mad:

He had some very relevant views on how football treated it's referees and tv analysis! Brian was box office. Such a shame about the drink

He had some very relevant views on how football treated it's referees and tv analysis! Brian was box office. Such a shame about the drink

Fergies book puts Clough senior in a bad light. They met first in 82 or something and if the account is correct, Clough does not come out of it too well
Justin Fashanus dealings with Clough dont paint a good picture of the man either ( certainly would not be allowed to say what he was saying back then)
No doubting his managerial ability though, exceptional

Fergies book puts Clough senior in a bad light. They met first in 82 or something and if the account is correct, Clough does not come out of it too well
Justin Fashanus dealings with Clough dont paint a good picture of the man either ( certainly would not be allowed to say what he was saying back then)
No doubting his managerial ability though, exceptional
Can’t be many clubs who’ve won more European silverware than its domestic league!

Listen to the Dean Saunders story on Talk Sport, he wasn’t wired up right Cloughie snr.

Back