A&H

Man City v Burton

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
No a huge amount to talk about. VAR used to rule out a penalty against city and to successfully allow a goal for a potential offside. So far so good from a refereeing perspective I think

The Referee Store
Are we witnessing a tragedy for football?
Sport must always be competitive. This is meant to be a semi final

Well, i'm not witnessing it as i tuned out after 4 mins
I don't understand how football does so well financially when its increasingly uncompetitive

Classy response from Pep.....

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola: "The result was good and of course we are already in the final but we have to play the second leg. We will take it seriously. Burton have had an incredible tournament. They have to be so proud, they did so well.

"Strikers need to score goals, Gabriel Jesus has had chances in the last few games and today he has scored. He is so important.

"It is not easy to play this type of game against a lower team, we made good runs in behind and we took it seriously. After the second and third goal it was easier, we were faster and quicker.

"I am off for a glass of wine with Nigel Clough, I know how important his father was for English football, he was a genius. Incredible. It will be a pleasure to share some minutes with him."

Classy response from Pep.....

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola: "The result was good and of course we are already in the final but we have to play the second leg. We will take it seriously. Burton have had an incredible tournament. They have to be so proud, they did so well.

"Strikers need to score goals, Gabriel Jesus has had chances in the last few games and today he has scored. He is so important.

"It is not easy to play this type of game against a lower team, we made good runs in behind and we took it seriously. After the second and third goal it was easier, we were faster and quicker.

"I am off for a glass of wine with Nigel Clough, I know how important his father was for English football, he was a genius. Incredible. It will be a pleasure to share some minutes with him."

And Nigel when asked if he would be going to see Pep for a glass of wine joked "yes, but hopefully more than one". No shame for Burton there, City have hit Premier League teams for 5 and 6, they realistically had no chance of avoiding a heavy defeat in this one.

Let’s start a campaign... it should have been 10! We woz robbed!

Looked like a pre season game TBF, no slur on Burton, most teams would of been battered tonight!

I don't understand how football does so well financially when its increasingly uncompetitive

you think the English game is uncompetitive? 6 teams (plus a miracle 7th) that could win the league and or have a genuine shot at the champions league every year. Have you looked at France/Germany/Spain/Netherlands/Portugal etc - and those are just the countries where TWO teams have a genuine chance of winning but in reality it's mostly one team always winning the league and national cup. If the definition of competitive is one super team winning every year and all the other teams from the top league and the second league being about the same level of average I would not prefer that.

easier to say as a fan of a top 6 team I admit...but still think English football is wonderfully competitive.

you think the English game is uncompetitive? 6 teams (plus a miracle 7th) that could win the league and or have a genuine shot at the champions league every year. Have you looked at France/Germany/Spain/Netherlands/Portugal etc - and those are just the countries where TWO teams have a genuine chance of winning but in reality it's mostly one team always winning the league and national cup. If the definition of competitive is one super team winning every year and all the other teams from the top league and the second league being about the same level of average I would not prefer that.

easier to say as a fan of a top 6 team I admit...but still think English football is wonderfully competitive.
The EPL is more competitive that our European and Worldwide equivalents. Leicester City tore up the notion that teams need to dominate possession and their title win was a remarkable achievement, albeit one we won't see again.
Yet, it never ceases to amaze me, that thousands of fans are willing to go to away games against the top 6 when an away win is 20/1, 25/1 and occasionally 33/1
Supporters of the top 6 can be forgiven for not appreciating such loyalty in the face of forlorn hope. Admittedly, I long since found something better to do with my time. I've been to the Nou Camp and Allianz Arena for League games and I found them depressing experiences. Half the Barcelona crowd are tourists and the games were more like watching 'a show' or 'a bullfight' than a sporting event
The fact being that there's nothing to stop the chasm between the top clubs are the also-ran's growing ever-wider. The global market for the game continues to grow despite this. I don't understand why this is so when (approaching) half of all games are arguably one-sided affairs

You only have to look at the FA cup games last weekend to realise that this isn’t really the case. Yes, you have your big clubs like every cleague but to says it’s not competitive it’s a stretch. That’s why we’ve only had one invincible side in the premier league era and situations like Burnley getting into Europe last season and recently promoted Wolves flying high. Also below the prem, the championship is incredibly competitive

Back