Malta

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
Sometimes, I'm embarressed to be a Referee. No explanation needed

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I just want one Referee to have it in him to go to the screen and say No
If thats the level of handball now then I will have to change my thinking' As pointed out on other discussions on the handball offence this could lead to players simply aiming at opponents and hoping the ball strikes the arm and an infringement given

Haha that is utterly pathetic

Standard uefa

Turning a 0% chance into a 75% goal simply because the defender has the audacity to posses an arm. Ruining the game.

I remember a couple of months ago, UEFA asked IFAB to clarify the handball law. No clarity is needed to get this one correct - this is just not handball under any definition of handball.

I didn’t see the game live, only on highlights. And this is the most plausible scenario I can come up with, based on what they showed.

1:The defenders hand is out in a “stop” gesture position.

2: The ball strikes the flat palm, not the arm and is clearly diverted away from where it was intended.

3: This is interpreted as a deliberate block or pushing the ball away and possibly the defender “trying to be clever” by tucking his arm in but using his hand and hoping to escape using the “natural position” clause.

Would I call that myself in a game? No. On the original camera shot in play, did it look a penalty? Again no.

But, given the stricter interpretation and implementation around Europe I’m not completely surprised at the call. It is far from the worst I’ve seen called in that part of the field.

I didn’t see the game live, only on highlights. And this is the most plausible scenario I can come up with, based on what they showed.

1:The defenders hand is out in a “stop” gesture position.

2: The ball strikes the flat palm, not the arm and is clearly diverted away from where it was intended.

3: This is interpreted as a deliberate block or pushing the ball away and possibly the defender “trying to be clever” by tucking his arm in but using his hand and hoping to escape using the “natural position” clause.

Would I call that myself in a game? No. On the original camera shot in play, did it look a penalty? Again no.

But, given the stricter interpretation and implementation around Europe I’m not completely surprised at the call. It is far from the worst I’ve seen called in that part of the field.
I agree it's not the worst call made in European competition but it's definitely up there with the worst

Back