A&H

Major League Soccer

Mike

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
Right

I have never been impressed by standards of officiating in America.

Tonight I’ve had the misfortune of watching Kansas City V Columbus Crew (quite bored)

Foul recognition is up there with what I’d be expecting from a newly qualified ref.

CC had a player sent off via VAR in the first half for a tackle about half hour late, a foul wasn’t given.

Just now a very obvious punch-cum-slap has been thrown and can clearly be seen on camera, VAR reviews it for a few minutes and nothing is given

Not the first time I’ve seen it happen in the states, and I’m sure it won’t be the last

(Still half hour left, who knows what will happen)

The Referee Store
Beat me to it. Just flicking through the channels thought I'd have a quick look at the MLS game on Sky Sports and I tune in just in time to see this debacle. I don't have the clip but if somebody would like to explain why a half punch/half slap (closed fist lash out) with a good amount of force (just bad connection) to the face isn't a sending offence once reviewed by VAR, I'd be intrigued? Thanks!

Appears to be a lot of fuss on MLS Twitter that the referee didn't even go over and check the screen. He had his mic to his ear for what seemed like an age. I decided it was a sending off after 10 seconds. I just thought that it was a formality and taking a bit too long but to see the ref restart the game without a red was baffling.

I get they like to go over to their lovely shiny TV monitor, but wasn't the incident already reviewed by the VAR? Why would the referee need to review it as well? Why didn't he?

Can’t the managers throw a flag on the play over there? I can understand a Ref missing it but not a VAR? Madness!

In saying that the one game I did watch was last week where ref used the var perfectly and correctly sent off Zlatan and cautioned the other guy.

It’s soccer what do u expect.

Probably the worst product on the market, I can’t ever remember watching a full MLS match for 90mins.

It’s soccer what do u expect.
You do realise that soccer is a British term, don't you? I'm not quite sure where the current disdain for it has come from, it has been used in the UK since the late 1800's and is still used. For instance, you may have noticed there's been a programme called 'Soccer Saturday' on Sky Sports since 1992 and they have regular midweek broadcasts called 'Soccer Special.' As far as I recall, the term was more popular in the UK a few decades ago - as evidenced by the series of books published year after year under George Best's name in the 60's and 70's entitled, "George Best's Soccer Annual."

It seems to me some people dislike the term simply because it is used in the US, which strikes me as a somewhat facile attitude to take.

It seems to me some people dislike the term simply because it is used in the US, which strikes me as a somewhat facile attitude to take.

I'm an American so I just roll my eyes at it. No one seems to care when a South African, Aussie, or Canadian use the word soccer since they have other popular codes of football. But when an American uses soccer it's somehow an insult to the great sport of association football (from which the word soccer is derived from)

You do realise that soccer is a British term, don't you? I'm not quite sure where the current disdain for it has come from, it has been used in the UK since the late 1800's and is still used. For instance, you may have noticed there's been a programme called 'Soccer Saturday' on Sky Sports since 1992 and they have regular midweek broadcasts called 'Soccer Special.' As far as I recall, the term was more popular in the UK a few decades ago - as evidenced by the series of books published year after year under George Best's name in the 60's and 70's entitled, "George Best's Soccer Annual."

Thanks for the education I didn’t realise that & come to think of it your right.

In my defence I don’t think i was alone in thinking it was an American creation.

Thanks for the education I didn’t realise that & come to think of it your right.

In my defence I don’t think i was alone in thinking it was an American creation.

You are far from alone. "Rugger" and "soccer" were used to separate the two popular British codes of football in the late 1800s known as "rugby football" and "association football". Other codes of football have developed across the globe including Gaelic, Austrailian Rules, American, and Canadian football. Most of those modern sports share the same path. Rugby or soccer was imported from the UK and the rules shifted over time to become the primary form of football we see today in those nations. Every modern form of football played in the world is a direct descendant from soccer and rugby played in the UK in the 19th century.

And since the word "football" refers to American football in America, Canadian football in Canada, Australian rules football in Australia (do you see the pattern here?), those cultures need a different word for association football so they use the original British term of "soccer".

Last edited:
Often forgotten that full name of the sport we call soccer/football is "association football". This is to separate it from all the other codes of football I mentioned above. Remember that when FIFA is translated to English it means "International Federation of Association Football" but IFAF doesn't have the same ring to it.

You are far from alone. "Rugger" and "soccer" were used to separate the two popular British codes of football in the late 1800s known as "rugby football" and "association football". Other codes of football have developed across the globe including Gaelic, Austrailian Rules, American, and Canadian football. Most of those modern sports share the same path. Rugby or soccer was imported from the UK and the rules shifted over time to become the primary form of football we see today in those nations. Every modern form of football played in the world is a direct descendant from soccer and rugby played in the UK in the 19th century.

And since the word "football" refers to American football in the America, Canadian football in Canada, Australian rules football in Australia (do you see the pattern here?), those cultures need a different word for association football so they use the original British term of "soccer".

So you speak our language, you play our game, so what made you start driving on the wrong side of the road? ;)

So you speak our language, you play our game, so what made you start driving on the wrong side of the road? ;)
History and origin
About a 35% of the world population drives on the left, and the countries that do are mostly old British colonies. This strange quirk perplexes the rest of the world, but there is a perfectly good reason. Click here for a world map and a full list of all countries of the world and the side of the road on which they drive.
Right-handed knights preferred to keep to the left in order to have their right arm nearer to an opponent
In the past, almost everybody travelled on the left side of the road because that was the most sensible option for feudal, violent societies. Since most people are right-handed, swordsmen preferred to keep to the left in order to have their right arm nearer to an opponent and their scabbard further from him. Moreover, it reduced the chance of the scabbard (worn on the left) hitting other people.
Furthermore, a right-handed person finds it easier to mount a horse from the left side of the horse, and it would be very difficult to do otherwise if wearing a sword (which would be worn on the left). It is safer to mount and dismount towards the side of the road, rather than in the middle of traffic, so if one mounts on the left, then the horse should be ridden on the left side of the road.
In the late 1700s, however, teamsters in France and the United States began hauling farm products in big wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. These wagons had no driver’s seat; instead the driver sat on the left rear horse, so he could keep his right arm free to lash the team. Since he was sitting on the left, he naturally wanted everybody to pass on the left so he could look down and make sure he kept clear of the oncoming wagon’s wheels. Therefore he kept to the right side of the road.
In Russia, in 1709, the Danish envoy under Tsar Peter the Great noted the widespread custom for traffic in Russia to pass on the right, but it was only in 1752 that Empress Elizabeth (Elizaveta Petrovna) officially issued an edict for traffic to keep to the right. In addition, the French Revolution of 1789 gave a huge impetus to right-hand travel in Europe. The fact is, before the Revolution, the aristocracy travelled on the left of the road, forcing the peasantry over to the right, but after the storming of the Bastille and the subsequent events, aristocrats preferred to keep a low profile and joined the peasants on the right. An official keep-right rule was introduced in Paris in 1794, more or less parallel to Denmark, where driving on the right had been made compulsory in 1793.

History and origin
About a 35% of the world population drives on the left, and the countries that do are mostly old British colonies. This strange quirk perplexes the rest of the world, but there is a perfectly good reason. Click here for a world map and a full list of all countries of the world and the side of the road on which they drive.
Right-handed knights preferred to keep to the left in order to have their right arm nearer to an opponent
In the past, almost everybody travelled on the left side of the road because that was the most sensible option for feudal, violent societies. Since most people are right-handed, swordsmen preferred to keep to the left in order to have their right arm nearer to an opponent and their scabbard further from him. Moreover, it reduced the chance of the scabbard (worn on the left) hitting other people.
Furthermore, a right-handed person finds it easier to mount a horse from the left side of the horse, and it would be very difficult to do otherwise if wearing a sword (which would be worn on the left). It is safer to mount and dismount towards the side of the road, rather than in the middle of traffic, so if one mounts on the left, then the horse should be ridden on the left side of the road.
In the late 1700s, however, teamsters in France and the United States began hauling farm products in big wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. These wagons had no driver’s seat; instead the driver sat on the left rear horse, so he could keep his right arm free to lash the team. Since he was sitting on the left, he naturally wanted everybody to pass on the left so he could look down and make sure he kept clear of the oncoming wagon’s wheels. Therefore he kept to the right side of the road.
In Russia, in 1709, the Danish envoy under Tsar Peter the Great noted the widespread custom for traffic in Russia to pass on the right, but it was only in 1752 that Empress Elizabeth (Elizaveta Petrovna) officially issued an edict for traffic to keep to the right. In addition, the French Revolution of 1789 gave a huge impetus to right-hand travel in Europe. The fact is, before the Revolution, the aristocracy travelled on the left of the road, forcing the peasantry over to the right, but after the storming of the Bastille and the subsequent events, aristocrats preferred to keep a low profile and joined the peasants on the right. An official keep-right rule was introduced in Paris in 1794, more or less parallel to Denmark, where driving on the right had been made compulsory in 1793.
3230+ posts and finally, you come up with a good one. :flip:
Might be a hint of plagiarism but I loved it.

Back