A&H

Maccabi Haifa corner/time wasting

I've seen referees have decent games only to totally lose control towards the end because a winning team are trying to hold it in the corner and a defender has come steaming in and caused a near riot. It just isn't worth the risk, if they give you ANY opportunity to give a foul then take it.
I’ve seen this tactic backfire SPECTACULARLY very recently.

Game had gone pretty smoothly with nothing that would have caused issues at full time.
Home side were 2-1 up with about a minute to go and the striker was holding the ball up in the corner.

I was the AR right in front of it and there was no hint of a foul and I’m communicating with both sets of players in front of me. Ref came steaming in with huge last on the whistle gave a FK and then pegged it out of there leaving me to deal with the fallout.

Away side took a quick FK while the home side were asking what the FK was for, broke down the other end and scored the equaliser with the last kick.

Cue the fulll time whistle and the home side immediately surround the referee and myself on the line, we come together and to cut a long story short - the home side are facing a hefty FA charge of threatening a match official.

Whilst we can argue that they could and should have defended the attack better, that counter attack was instigated by the referee “finding” a FK where there wasn’t one. Totally avoidable and soured an otherwise decent game.

Last edited:
The Referee Store

Game had gone pretty smoothly with nothing that would have caused issues at full time.
Home side were 2-1 up with about a minute to go and the striker was holding the ball up in the corner.

I was the AR right in front of it and there was no hint of a foul and I’m communicating with both sets of players in front of me. Ref came steaming in with huge last on the whistle gave a FK and then pegged it out of there leaving me to deal with the fallout.

Away side took a quick FK while the home side were asking what the FK was for, broke down the other end and scored the equaliser with the last kick.

Cue the fulll time whistle and the home side immediately surround the referee and myself on the line, we come together and to cut a long story short - the home side are facing a hefty FA charge of threatening a match official.

Whilst we can argue that they could and should have defended the attack better, that counter attack was instigated by the referee “finding” a FK where there wasn’t one. Totally avoidable and soured an otherwise decent game.

That is a horrible experience for an AR, of course only based on that one incident and your post on it We feel undermined here.

was there discussion post match?

Penalise attackers for keeping the ball in play and as far away from their own goal as long as possible and yet continue ignore existing laws where keepers regularly hold the ball for circa 13/20 seconds?

What next? Another Americanised rule stating that once the ball has entered the opposition half, the attacking side must have a shot with 10 seconds or lose posession? :confused:
That would ruin Pep's game plan.

Bound to get an airing in the PL soon.

There's a difference between finding a foul and inventing one
Whilst finding fouls and safe refereeing is very effective in principal, it's a difficult competency to get right. I've had satisfactory and unsatisfactory experiences of tweaking foul tolerance to suit these situations. I'm generally in favour of the 'finding' and 'safe' approach, but that doesn't mean that the Ref is safe from the inherent inconsistency that might cause problems

To reiterate, there has to be something there to give. "Finding a foul" is a bit of a misnomer, what you are actually doing is changing your tolerance level as to what constitutes a foul. Just as referees do at danger points in the game, a challenge that is given as a foul in the first five minutes or straight after a flashpoint won't necessarily draw a foul in the 20th minute of a game where nothing has happened. That's just game management, and indeed the performance competencies for L5 and above referees in England pretty much demand it.

When an attacker shields it in the corner they will often lean backwards into the defenders and away from the ball, making contact, so you have a case for impeding and a DFK right there. Or they often hold the defenders, so again you have a potentially soft, but not incorrect, free kick.

The referee has thrown you under the bus there, if he is giving the free kick he needs to stay around to manage it, not leg it and leave you to face the flak. He also needs to manage the restart, you don't start until your AR is ready and he can't be ready if he is being grilled about a decision.

When an attacker shields it in the corner they will often lean backwards into the defenders and away from the ball, making contact, so you have a case for impeding and a DFK right there. Or they often hold the defenders, so again you have a potentially soft, but not incorrect, free kick.
Cannot be impeding--you're looking for holding or pushing. Impeding requires the ball not be in playing distance.

Back