A&H

Maccabi Haifa corner/time wasting

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Now, before anyone suggests anything, the players whilst the ball is in play have done nothing wrong and I accept that. I am actually more concerned about the throw ins in the corners.

A few times the ball went out of play for a throw in literally by the corner flag but the attacking players have walked 8-10 yards away from where it actually went out to take it so they deliberately/physically could throw it back to where they're keeping it in the corner.
Now, I'm not normally fussy over where it is taken in defending third but attacking I am expecting it to be a lot closer to where it went out.
Granted I don't think, looking at the time left, the home side has any chance of recovering from the scoreline but I'm more worried about the players safety as you could see the home side getting a bit rattled and can see a bad challenge potentially coming (thankfully one wasn't forthcoming).
Would it not be safe to ensure throw is taken in the corner and get the ball out of there to avoid a potential challenge worthy of escalating a situation?

The Referee Store
Tough one. As you said, there is not much there to punish for delaying the restart. A few times they fake to kick the ball to draw in the defenders and then ask for a retreat. It would be very harsh to sanction that.

You don't want to punish the attackers for something you have not been doing all game. The only way I see out of this, after the first throw in the tactic is clear, they move away from the corner so that they can throw it into the corner. For next throw in make them take it right from the corner or if you have the awareness, make them do it on the first throw in. Once the ball is away from the corner, the farce is over.

It takes a lot more skill to keep the ball like that than players are given credit for
That said, it doesn't exactly make for a great spectacle and of course... we don't expect many or ANY C4's
The game will end up with 60 a minute fixed clock. And Refereeing will be hugely complicit in that respect. I'm probably for the idea. Time wasting is contributing towards the demise of the the game. I think the 60 minute clock would make for much better games

Last edited:
A pet hate of mine is players not taking throw ins at the right place. I do a lot of communication early on about where they should be taken and it usually helps for the rest of the game.

Lots of factors as to why this is difficult, suppose the dream senario is finding a fk to the defensive team but that is even stretching things a bit.
Only way of managing this that I can see is graduallly getting the throws away from the corner so we have more space and less congestion. Even if that meant ref instructing the throw to be slightly further back than it should be.

only watched it once through but there is one clear occasion where a thrower decides no, he is not taking the throw, and rolls the ball to his pal. This was the only slight possibility I saw for delaying restart, but, its ambitious, plus also am praying he has not alrready been cautioned.

It’s pretty much impossible to ensure that the ball is thrown at exactly the point in which it went out of play, however I will always use pitch markings as a guide if it’s in the general area. If it’s gone out in the corner, the player will be told ‘in the corner’.

EDIT: I also don’t like the referees positioning. We know they are going in the corner every time, so why is he moving towards the 18 yard and then sprinting back to the corner every time it’s put back in play?

In fact the only thing that gets on my nerves more (apart from players ‘standing on it’ at a free kick) is when people clap, but clap with rigid straight fingers and hands like the falsest crapiest clap ever.

There's enough in there after 19 seconds to "find" a defensive free kick in my opinion.
Totally agree. In these scenarios, if the attacking team are foolish enough to give you the option of a defensive FK then take it and get the hell out of dodge! In this case I'd see defensive FKs for pushing at 0.15 and 1.14
I thought about this early on. Conversely "finding" a free kick here encourages misbehaving and aggressive behaviour by the defending team (kind of like giving toddlers what they want when they throw tantrum). It's size one way, half dozen The other.

I thought about this early on. Conversely "finding" a free kick here encourages misbehaving and aggressive behaviour by the defending team (kind of like giving toddlers what they want when they throw tantrum). It's size one way, half dozen The other.
I've seen referees have decent games only to totally lose control towards the end because a winning team are trying to hold it in the corner and a defender has come steaming in and caused a near riot. It just isn't worth the risk, if they give you ANY opportunity to give a foul then take it.

I've seen referees have decent games only to totally lose control towards the end because a winning team are trying to hold it in the corner and a defender has come steaming in and caused a near riot. It just isn't worth the risk, if they give you ANY opportunity to give a foul then take it.
But aren't you then denying the attackers protecting their lead in a legal way?

I do get keeping control of the game and safe refereeing but for me fairness is also important. For example in the OP, let's say I do "find" a FK for the defenders. They kick it long and score at the other end within 30 seconds. In my mind they didn't draw that game because they deserved it, but because I gave them a free kick based much on what might happen and very little on what has happened.

It's probably wishful thinking but I'd like to see the lawmakers delegitimise the tactic of keeping the ball in the corner quadrant. Say, once the ball has been in the quadrant for more than 3 seconds, active play is then considered at a stalemate and a goal kick is awarded. This would prevent the near riots @RustyRef refers to and would end this current legal, but negative, time wasting tactic.

It's probably wishful thinking but I'd like to see the lawmakers delegitimise the tactic of keeping the ball in the corner quadrant. Say, once the ball has been in the quadrant for more than 3 seconds, active play is then considered at a stalemate and a goal kick is awarded. This would prevent the near riots @RustyRef refers to and would end this current legal, but negative, time wasting tacic.
Nope.

As much as I loathe the dribble-to-th—corner nonsense, I’m not connived that any cure would not be worse than the disease.

It's probably wishful thinking but I'd like to see the lawmakers delegitimise the tactic of keeping the ball in the corner quadrant. Say, once the ball has been in the quadrant for more than 3 seconds, active play is then considered at a stalemate and a goal kick is awarded...
Penalise attackers for keeping the ball in play and as far away from their own goal as long as possible and yet continue ignore existing laws where keepers regularly hold the ball for circa 13/20 seconds?

What next? Another Americanised rule stating that once the ball has entered the opposition half, the attacking side must have a shot with 10 seconds or lose posession? :confused:

But aren't you then denying the attackers protecting their lead in a legal way?

I do get keeping control of the game and safe refereeing but for me fairness is also important. For example in the OP, let's say I do "find" a FK for the defenders. They kick it long and score at the other end within 30 seconds. In my mind they didn't draw that game because they deserved it, but because I gave them a free kick based much on what might happen and very little on what has happened.
Obviously, if there is NO foul from the attacking team then we just crack on. It's just that, from my experience, that simply almost never happens ... exactly as in this clip (at the times I mention) they use their upper body to keep the defenders at a distance in a way that is not (IMO) legal.

Referee let himself get mugged off IMO.
I saw 3 easy cautions for DTR (would only have needed one) and an easy defensive free kick to give.

Obviously, if there is NO foul from the attacking team then we just crack on. It's just that, from my experience, that simply almost never happens ... exactly as in this clip (at the times I mention) they use their upper body to keep the defenders at a distance in a way that is not (IMO) legal.
I reality, when there is a challenge, any foul or no foul is somewhere on a grey area. There is very little black or white and a lot of grey. So if you really want to, you can call almost any challenge a foul. Calling a foul in OP will require a tolerance level very low (hence the term "finding a foul") and something I am unlikely to apply just for the last minute of the game in favour of defenders due to them behaving poorly.

To add, if we set the bar so we can find fouls for defenders in OP, for me, we will find more fouls for the attackers before that.

I am not against the principle of finding a foul (with low tolerance), I just don't think this is the right application for it.

Back