A&H

Lyon vs PSG

The Referee Store
From the side angle it looks far worse than it maybe is! From the rear it looks a good old fashioned tackle. Was the RC for the foul or something said as he fronted up the referee! I don't think the ref actually saw the actual tackle as his glance seemed to be upfield!!

Agree with above, and bear in mind ref see's it once from one angle.
It looks like a red from one angle but from another, a simple free kick and maybe a yellow.
What is clear is that the referee is confrontational, shows no emphathy, tries to fight fire with fire and when you hear stories of grass roots refs being hit, its this kind of posture that attributes to it. Stand toe to toe with that facial expression on a public park againgst the big centre half and you are either brave or very foolish.

It appears that Alves was getting a yellow until he got in the referee's face, so I'm assuming the red was for something he said? Fair play to the ref though, others might be intimidated by a player coming in nose-to-nose to snarl abuse but he wasn't having any of it!

Oh and Verratti should've gone too for manhandling the referee to prevent him showing the card.

I think the ref's done well there. I get @Ciley Myrus point but if you back off there you make yourself look weak. Stand your ground and if anyone crosses the line, they know what's coming. Tackle was a yellow but Alves's reaction has got himself sent off. Verratti would receive yellow in one of my games - he's not deliberately manhandled the ref - just trying to get his point across but his rush to get in the midst of all of that has made him catch the ref with a bit more speed and vigour than he would have liked.

Must admit I'm not a fan of the Lyon players crowding the referee to try and get a red card delivered to Alves. A caution to the worst offender there would be correct in my opinion.

In that environment it might be ok, my point being, for most of us, in public parks, I personally dont feel its good practise to go nose to nose with someond you are going to dismiss, they will already be raging and to be within headbutt motion distance is asking for trouble. There is showing authority, and there is just being unaware of your environment.

While I agree with that, in this instance I dont think he has. Alves came up and got in his face - admittedly a step back and looking at him in a manner which displays suitable disapproval would have sufficed.

Reactions: one
as the other guys have said angles give you two decisions, and the referee should decide if he want to wear long or short sleeves, that just looks scruffy and would lose brownie points for appearance, if i was assessing

In that environment it might be ok, my point being, for most of us, in public parks, I personally dont feel its good practise to go nose to nose with someond you are going to dismiss, they will already be raging and to be within headbutt motion distance is asking for trouble. There is showing authority, and there is just being unaware of your environment.
the good old public parks in scotland lol, i agree by the way

as the other guys have said angles give you two decisions, and the referee should decide if he want to wear long or short sleeves, that just looks scruffy and would lose brownie points for appearance, if i was assessing
Really? THIS is your takeaway?

In a game that it had been raining heavily until about the 50th minute, then stopped and was warming up.

THIS is your takeaway, that he'd lose points for having pushed his long sleeves up.

It looks like the referee stopped the game for a reckless tackle yellow. Then Alves squared up with him and said something offensive. He gave him a red for the OFFINABUS without showing him the yellow for the tackle which is not right.
Another possibility would have been, a yellow for the tackle, a second yellow for dissent and then a red but that also mean the yellow card should have come out.
The only thing that could make sense is that he stopped the game to just warn Alves but ended up sending him for OFFINABUS.

I also think that Verratti should have been cautioned and the ref should have been more proactive in disbursing Lyon players crowding him.

It looks like the referee stopped the game for a reckless tackle yellow. Then Alves squared up with him and said something offensive. He gave him a red for the OFFINABUS without showing him the yellow for the tackle which is not right.
There have been prior instances (including at a World Cup) where a caution was to be shown, and then the situation escalated with that player committing violent conduct (I seem to recall that it was a game involving the Netherlands, and an opponent had taken a really obvious dive, ref blew the whistle, was coming over to caution, etc, and the player stood up and headbutted Edwin Van Der Sar). Only the RC was shown in that circumstance, but the match report reflected both.

My best guess is that this is done to avoid the "yellow, red" and people thinking that it's a second caution being shown, and then the argument becoming "but he didn't have a caution before!"

Having said all that, the match report for the PSG game does NOT reflect a caution here, only a dismissal. http://www.ligue1.com/ligue1/feuille_match/83029

To the Verratti bit, I agree. There should've been some sort of reprisal there.

Reactions: one
Back