A&H

Luton vs Man City

Another ankle breaker in the spurs v Newcastle game. Diabolical challenge. Can't believe it's not upgraded
In my personal opinion a YC, particularly in the Spurs v Newcastle game, was not only worthy of a RC, but also a C&O error. It felt a bit like the referee gave a yellow card safe in the knowledge that VAR would check anyway, which isn’t how VAR should be used.

The Referee Store
No card at all for Brown. Not even penalised as a foul. 2 min 30

Gets worse every time you watch it. Two feet off the ground, totally out of control and clearly endangering the safety of an opponent.

Robinson didn’t even give a FK in real time so can’t have seen it properly (which I don’t blame him for as he was wrong side), but I don’t understand why VAR isn’t getting involved.

Wow. That is horrific. How has VAR missed it, let alone a top referee in real time?

Potential red card as well for the Man City player afterwards for the elbow into the head in the next phase of play? Unless I'm missing something?

Potential red card as well for the Man City player afterwards for the elbow into the head in the next phase of play? Unless I'm missing something?
You mean the nudge in the back of the Luton player who should have just been sent off?

You mean the nudge in the back of the Luton player who should have just been sent off?

Just to me it looks like it's into the head/lower neck area. Granted I've sent it to a non-ref friend, and he can't see what I'm seeing...

I think I might be seeing things!

Can’t jump in like that. It’s a full 2 footed jump, not even a lunge

You sound like a fan/commentator, not a referee.
"2 footed ref!!"
Perfectly possible to make a legal 2 footed tackle. (This isn't one of them).

The player is however, not in control.
That is why this is a red card.

Last edited:
Ive always maintain the one area of weakness our refs seem to have is identifying SFP and it clearly is an issue when the VAR does not intervene here because it's a clear and obvious error when the referee doesn't even give a free kick!

The Spurs and Brentford incidents also seem to highlight this, the Brentford player especially should be an easy one for a top referee to identify but Attwell goes for the safe yellow and the VAR feels powerless to overrule him?

Ive always maintain the one area of weakness our refs seem to have is identifying SFP and it clearly is an issue when the VAR does not intervene here because it's a clear and obvious error when the referee doesn't even give a free kick!

The Spurs and Brentford incidents also seem to highlight this, the Brentford player especially should be an easy one for a top referee to identify but Attwell goes for the safe yellow and the VAR feels powerless to overrule him?
This is because England was always seen as a more physical league, so referees almost subconsciously err on the side of caution. Ultimately, football is no longer a particularly physical sport. And I'd blame the players and culture on that, rather than the referees. But the referees also need to tune into this way of thinking.

You sound like a fan/commentator, not a referee.
"2 footed ref!!"
Perfectly possible to make a legal 2 footed tackle. (This isn't one of them).

The player is however, not in control.
That is why this is a red card.
It was almost a carbon copy of a sketch in the How to Play the Game series (circa 1960) to illustrate "jumping at a player".

When foot up tackles where the foot glances off the ball are reviewed as SFP and this isn't, there's something rotten in the state of PGMOL.

(Second hand) Was Dermot Gallagher arguing against a RC for SFP (in a different game) because the PL has had so many RCs already this season (despite so many being for two YCs because of cracking down on things like kicking the ball away)?

(Second hand) Was Dermot Gallagher arguing against a RC for SFP (in a different game) because the PL has had so many RCs already this season (despite so many being for two YCs because of cracking down on things like kicking the ball away)?
Yes, his argument was along those lines on the red card shout in the Tottenham v Newcastle game. Based on the standard we’ve seen this season it certainly looked like a red card to me, whether or not there’s been more this season already than the last is irrelevant.

Not as bad as Romero's SFP on Wilson. Not been mentioned elsewhere on the Forum
Both incidents suffered from the ''''''Ref leaving it to VAR.... VAR lost in the mire of C&O mistake.... end result WRONG DECISION'''''' syndrome

A syndrome which is very detrimental to the overall standard of officiating

Not as bad as Romero's SFP on Wilson. Not been mentioned elsewhere on the Forum
Both incidents suffered from the ''''''Ref leaving it to VAR.... VAR lost in the mire of C&O mistake.... end result WRONG DECISION'''''' syndrome

was mentioned in this thread! agree romero was worse and more obvious and your final assessment of VAR!

Back