A&H

Luton vs Forest

A&H International
Really poor decisions in that game unfortunately for the refereeing team, 3 KMI’s all incorrect imo

Penalty - I’m not convinced Colback knew what he was doing and considering it was amongst a tussle for the ball, I don’t think the arm was an unnatural position

Spence goal - Clear touch from the defender trying to play the ball right infront of the assistant. Not offside and should have counted

Luton red card - the referee simply has to see that the touch comes from the forest player making the attacker offside, meaning no red card for the centre half. Assistant isn’t to know and correctly flagged if the referee tells him the Luton player played the ball

I don’t want to be overly critical and try not to as we’re all human, but that’s 3 big big decisions which completely changed the game.

Thankfully next season we will have VAR and there will never be controversy again in the championship;)

Really poor decisions in that game unfortunately for the refereeing team, 3 KMI’s all incorrect imo

Penalty - I’m not convinced Colback knew what he was doing and considering it was amongst a tussle for the ball, I don’t think the arm was an unnatural position

Spence goal - Clear touch from the defender trying to play the ball right infront of the assistant. Not offside and should have counted

Luton red card - the referee simply has to see that the touch comes from the forest player making the attacker offside, meaning no red card for the centre half. Assistant isn’t to know and correctly flagged if the referee tells him the Luton player played the ball

I don’t want to be overly critical and try not to as we’re all human, but that’s 3 big big decisions which completely changed the game.
The 2 Forest mates I watched the game with were understandably fuming the decisions.

As soon as I saw who had been binned I wasn’t surprised. Likely could and should have gone earlier in the game as he’s is a liability discipline wise.

The penalty is nothing like the howling error social media would have you believe. The arm is not out for balance and moves towards the ball blocking the cross. Saw the over the referee shoulder shot and I’m giving that in my game if it happens.

As soon as I saw who had been binned I wasn’t surprised. Likely could and should have gone earlier in the game as he’s is a liability discipline wise.

The penalty is nothing like the howling error social media would have you believe. The arm is not out for balance and moves towards the ball blocking the cross. Saw the over the referee shoulder shot and I’m giving that in my game if it happens.

Penalty

I only watched the first half, but that is 100% a penalty. Why was his arm where it was? Added to that he then moves his arm towards the ball after it has been played, I'm really struggling to see any argument about this.

He is trying to slow himself down and it hits his arm accidentally, the only other position that he could have had his arm in there, is down by his side, which wouldn’t have been a natural position for what is happening here IMO. The ball also then hits him in the head accidentally as well I am sure he didn’t mean that either! I don’t think a defender at this level deliberately handles the ball in the area like that, granted, that doesn’t mean it is not a penalty, the arm does move towards the ball and is slightly out making his body unnaturally bigger, could have gone either way for me!

I only watched the first half, but that is 100% a penalty. Why was his arm where it was? Added to that he then moves his arm towards the ball after it has been played, I'm really struggling to see any argument about this.
Alas, I'm in agreement with you. I'm giving that PK also. Near enough 100%
The difference between the two of us is why I'm giving the PK
Unlike you, I think it's a natural action, so it should NOT be a PK
However, like I've indicated in the other thread in which HB was discussed this week, the Professional game and VAR sets the expectation. Not the book. And I'm certain this ball to hand is being penalised in the vast amount of televised games around the world, especially those with VAR
So whilst I suspect @Russell Jones et al would stoically argue correctly against HB in this incident, I'm (we're) not the one(s) who sets the expectation in the game. These things are all 'top-down' IMHO and if we fight the cause from the bottom, we'll lose!

Last edited:
Alas, I'm in agreement with you. I'm giving that PK also. Near enough 100%
The difference between the two of us is why I'm giving the PK
Unlike you, I think it's a natural action, so it should NOT be a PK
However, like I've indicated in the other thread in which HB was discussed this week, the Professional game and VAR sets the expectation. Not the book. And I'm certain this ball to hand is being penalised in the vast amount of televised games around the world, especially those with VAR
So whilst I suspect @Russell Jones et al would stoically argue correctly against HB in this incident, I'm (we're) not the one(s) who sets the expectation in the game. These things are all 'top-down' IMHO and if we fight the cause from the bottom, we'll lose!

Precisely my point of the other handball post that you replied to.

Having read the responses in that post I do however feel like the only way (as a referee that has just come back into the game from playing) to referee handball is to stick to and apply the current law, especially as I want to gain promotion etc ..

However I know that doing it this way is going to get me a huge amount of stick if it is not/ won’t be applied like that in the EFL and higher!

Interestingly, I'm in the camp that you could call this either way but would probably err on a penalty. Whilst the arm position is IMO natural for the action, the (slight) movement of the arm towards the ball gives a reason to call it. Even though it's highly likely this movement was in fact involuntary given the super quick timing involved.

I totally get that the expectation set by decisions at higher levels makes our lives difficult. On handball and on other laws. However I'm at least pleased that what I've seen when AR on games at Step 1 and Step 2 this season is the new iteration of HB being pretty well and consistently applied by the referees :)

Back