A&H

Luton V Swansea

Obviously can't see in this clip but if the referee has a look down the field to see who the player could realistically be passing to that would help in his argument either way; no one was there so there is no way you were actually trying to pass it, or, there is a striker on the run who it looks like he's passing to.

Either way - in this case - its a red card all day. If he says well he is in the way then say "yes, and I will caution him, it is not up to you to hand out your own version of 'justice'"

The Referee Store
Fascinating thread. Initially I was going yc both, and I normally go more reddish than average. But, having taken a few seconds thinking time, of course it's a red.

Interestingly saw a similar one yesterday at grassroots. Ref had let dangerous and reckless challenges go without even a word all game. 5 mins to go and it was the latest delaying a free kick by kicking the ball away. Timewise think Zaire 1974. Lots of pushing and handbags. Yc given, to which the player shouted you're carding me for that (x2) and a that's rubbish. Sin bin at least, not no. I wanted to have a discussion after the game with the ref but he made a swift exit.

I'd like to know what exact offence the yellow card to the red player was given for? Surely if it is for the obvious kick the only card can be red

I'd say:

Red for the red player
Yellow for the white player and warning of thin ice for the rest of the game
Yellow for the red player's buddy who shoves the white player after it -> further stirs the pot

What would i do in a game? Great question :D

And if you are going to penalise someone for kicking an opponent across the shins at high speed and with excessive force how is that justified by a sanction for USB rather than SFP or violent conduct? Not being funny, genuinely trying to understand how USB was decided to be the offence considering the brutality of it

And if you are going to penalise someone for kicking an opponent across the shins at high speed and with excessive force how is that justified by a sanction for USB rather than SFP or violent conduct? Not being funny, genuinely trying to understand how USB was decided to be the offence considering the brutality of it
Opinion of the referee.
Whilst we all saw excessive force he might merely have seen acting with disregard to the consequence for the opponent.

I would more than likely go red if I saw this happen in real time during one of my games, although with the benefit of being able to watch the replay and think it over, I'm thinking no red.

The Swansea player is in the wrong for doing what he did, and has put himself in harm's way by kicking the ball away just as the Luton player is about to kick it. I'm seeing it in a similar light to playing in a dangerous manner - an action that threatens injury to someone (including the player themself).

That being said, I think I'd have to agree that the Luton player's actions in continuing to attempt taking the free kick despite being able to see the Swansea player walking towards it can be deemed reckless. Given that the amount of force in the kick would have be perfectly legitimate for the purpose of taking the free kick, I'm not sure that I'd agree that he "exceeded the necessary use of force".

TL;DR - I'm happy with a caution for each of them.

Attachments

• Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    841.8 KB · Views: 6
I'm of the opinion that the Luton player could certainly have stopped his follow-through in time but chose not to. I'd have gone red if I'd seen that in my game, purely because the above is just a prize example of the sort of stupid, immature thuggery we as referees are often forced to deal with at Grass Roots, never mind EFL level!!

No, I am not. As I wrote, I think red is right. But the "red or nothing" is a false dichotomy (and one often raided on various issues). If, ITOOTR, this does not rise to the level of VC, it easily meets the threshold for a caution for USB. (And I think, while it is regrettable, I think the professional leagues (at least in England) would prefer this to be yellow.)

I see refcoach has decided it is a red for the red player (VC) and yellow for the white (delaying restart)

I see refcoach has decided it is a red for the red player (VC) and yellow for the white (delaying restart)
That’s refcoach’s decision and I think it’s justifiable.

I think yellow yellow is also justifiable.

I wold go red as I think it is blatant, intentional, cynical and in one of my games, a re would be the expected outcome.

ITOOTR!

Reactions: ARF
Late to this party. Clear red. No second thought.

At the point of the image there is no way the red player hasn't seen the white player. And he can't possibly be thinking he is going to get to the ball first. Even if he thinks he has a slight chance, he knows he would be cleaning the ball and the player all together with the force he used. Intent is clear to me.

Screenshot_20210924-010925.jpg

At the point of the image there is no way the red player hasn't seen the white player. And he can't possibly be thinking he is going to get to the ball first. Even if he thinks he has a slight chance, he knows he would be cleaning the ball and the player all together with the force he used. Intent is clear to me.

View attachment 5180

with you on that one, really struggling to see how it cant be called an act of violence.
for me it makes no odds that the white player should not be there, no matter where you are positioned on the pitch if you get cemented like that, its violent conduct
pretty sure none of us referees wish to be wiped out like that, for, getting in the way...( yes i know there is nothing in the book re our distance from ball) but point remains.

Reactions: one

View attachment 5180
Ah yes of course, the Luton player can see into the future and knows that the Swansea player is going to kick the ball away, and knows that he is going to put his leg where the ball was at the exact same time that he would have been kicking the ball. How devious of him.

Ah yes of course, the Luton player can see into the future and knows that the Swansea player is going to kick the ball away, and knows that he is going to put his leg where the ball was at the exact same time that he would have been kicking the ball. How devious of him.

none of that is relevanf. The Swansea player has still been smashed.
By the Luton player.
How it happend, accident or on purpose or bit of both, totally irrelevant,

Really? He's clearly walking towards the ball - regardless of if he kicks it away, blocks the FK or is "only" walking past to get to the side line, the force used by the Luton player was always going to wipe him out. Suggesting in any way that the Luton player somehow didn't know he was about to hurt the Swansea player and then chose to do it anyway is a stunningly generous interpretation, bordering on fantasy.

Can't believe this is a discussion. Absolute stupidity the lad wasn't sent off. There's more to laugh about than there is to talk about, such is the thuggery involved and inexplicable absence of a red card!

Can't believe this is a discussion. Absolute stupidity the lad wasn't sent off. There's more to laugh about than there is to talk about, such is the thuggery involved and inexplicable absence of a red card!

You say that, but I would put good money on the observer and PGMOL having backed the referee. At grass roots, and even semi-pro level, a red card is expected, but honestly don't think many SG1 referees would go red there as they would be the only people inside that stadium expecting a red.

Topically, I was at a game recently where a team leading by two goals conceded. One of the defenders put the ball up his shirt and knelt down, and as two players wrestled to get it back he took a stray knee to the head from one of them. The outcome was a caution each, and it felt right for me. Call it karma, or say that actions have consequences, but similarly to the Luton game the player put himself in danger and came out badly from it.

Back