A&H

LoTG Vs FA Caution Codes

Wolfy123

I've long had this thought at the back of my mind that I do not fully understand the interaction between the LoTG and the FA Caution codes.

Recently I heard an observer mention that a pull should be a caution. This is not stated in the LoTG however FA caution codes specify pushing and pulling under cautions for Unsporting Behaviour.

Similar with SPA, which is in the LoTG but not a CC for the FA. You would normally enter C1 FT.

Can someone myth bust this for me please! Or can I mix and match my terminology to suit me whenever I like? Why bother to have these two different interpretations?

The Referee Store
I've long had this thought at the back of my mind that I do not fully understand the interaction between the LoTG and the FA Caution codes.

Recently I heard an observer mention that a pull should be a caution. This is not stated in the LoTG however FA caution codes specify pushing and pulling under cautions for Unsporting Behaviour.

Similar with SPA, which is in the LoTG but not a CC for the FA. You would normally enter C1 FT.

Can someone myth bust this for me please! Or can I mix and match my terminology to suit me whenever I like? Why bother to have these two different interpretations?
The FA Caution Codes are for nothing other than data gathering as to the nature of UB.

Re spa, spa can be committed as FT, SP, DP, HB. But it is still classified under unsporting behaviour as one of the examples of UB given in LOTG.

In simple money, you only ever need to think about was it unsporting behaviour. Tat gets you to a caution. The action, is just something the FA want to know rather than the specific reason for a caution.

A good example, not all handballs are unsporting behaviour. But HB is an FA code for unsporting behaviour. Apply that some logic to your pushing/pulling situation

100% agree
When I first qualified, I spent weeks trying to marry the codes with the book
Just shows that the FA don't understand the Laws. The FA codes get referred to in Observer debriefs the lot.... shambles

The FA Caution Codes are for nothing other than data gathering as to the nature of UB.

Re spa, spa can be committed as FT, SP, DP, HB. But it is still classified under unsporting behaviour as one of the examples of UB given in LOTG.

In simple money, you only ever need to think about was it unsporting behaviour. Tat gets you to a caution. The action, is just something the FA want to know rather than the specific reason for a caution.

A good example, not all handballs are unsporting behaviour. But HB is an FA code for unsporting behaviour. Apply that some logic to your pushing/pulling situation
Thanks James, good explanation.
I suppose the bit that concerns me is that observers and even RDOs are mixing the terminology between the two. It definitely muddies the water unnecessarily.

Here in Australia we merely need to mention that we cautioned for USB....no codes of any kind needed.

To be clear, LOTG does not have caution 'codes'. It has reasons. For caution codes Y1 through to Y7 was commonly use from as long as I remember. Y is for 'Yellow' and the numbers corresponded to the orders they appeared in the list in Law 12. In the big 2017 (I think) update, they reordred the list and combined two of the reasons (entering, re-entering OR deliberately leaving), but the code numbers did not change even though some leagues they now go to Y6 only.

A similar story for red cards going from R1 to R7, R being for 'Red' (or S for 'Send off' in England I think).

Some football associations have sub categories for some R's and some Y's for admin reasons only. For example to determine the fine / suspension or stats to plan what to to to improve game experience the following season.

I think you are talking about the reason in the sub-code used and not the code itself. I think the answer is if you do have 'pull' as a reason for USB, it does not mean all pulls are USB but some pull's are. For example prolonged pulling is commonly cautioned, and if you do you use USB (Y1) as main reason and 'pull' (whatever code) as sub-reason.

Here in Australia we merely need to mention that we cautioned for USB....no codes of any kind needed.
Speak for yourself mate :) . Y1 to to Y6 are used in all leagues I have refereed in. I am fairly sure they are also used in A-League. I refereed in a local association which had sub-codes for R6, OFFINABUS. A for directed at match official, B for directed at opponent and C for other.

Least your caution codes make sense and are easy to remember. AA aggressive attitude, FT foul tackle etc.

Here’s ours

4872B410-CBC5-4AFE-B516-71F4E6520318.jpeg

At least you've got SPA on there! Maybe the most common reason to give a USB caution and we don't just have to think USB for the actual reason we give the caution, we're also expected to remember the type of action (pushing, tripping etc) as well for some reason as that's the code we end up having to submit it under.

I'm not even sure anyone uses those codes anymore, the reason SPA isn't on there is probably because the codes haven't been changed for decades. If you can't decide whether it was reckless, foul tackle or tripping, just pick one as they are overlapping. A foul tackle or a trip would need to be reckless play for it to be a caution in the first place, unless it was persistent infringement (C3 rather than C1) or SPA (not listed as an option).

I think I've only used foul tackle once, it's always reckless play for me.

I see an offence and in my view is reckless, it gets the restart and a yellow card.

Easy enough.

Back