A&H

LOTG quiz question

Trip

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
This was set by our RDO:

A red team player trips that denies an obvious goal scoring opportunity that happened on the penalty area line. Do you?

YC & FK
RC & FK
YC & Pen
RC & Pen

The Referee Store
Assuming the penalty area line referenced is the edge of the 18 yard box, then the first part will be a penalty as on the line is considered to be inside.

The grey area is whether the trip is deemed an attempt to play the ball or not. I would suspect that as it's a trip, the intention of the vaguely worded question would be to assume that it is an attempt to play the ball so the answer would be a yellow card to go with the penalty.

This was set by our RDO:

A red team player trips that denies an obvious goal scoring opportunity that happened on the penalty area line. Do you?

YC & FK
RC & FK
YC & Pen
RC & Pen

YC & FK : This is ruled out as an an answer because it was DOGSO
RC & FK : This answer if the actual contact for trip was outside the PA. Something else (ball, other parts of attackers body...) was on the PA line.
YC & Pen : This answer if the actual contact for trip was on the PA line AND the defender was attempting to play the ball.
RC & Pen : This answer if the actual contact for trip was on the PA line AND the defender was NOT attempting to play the ball.

Maybe we're not giving him enough credit and the whole point was to spark this exact debate....?

But its not really a debate is it - you've got a group of people saying what all the possible answers could be and no indication fo what it is. You can only have meaningful debates about decisions/fouls you've seen.

But its not really a debate is it - you've got a group of people saying what all the possible answers could be and no indication fo what it is. You can only have meaningful debates about decisions/fouls you've seen.
It raises the question of what factors you need to consider. As a straight up LOTG question written down it's rubbish, but if asked as part of a classroom session, I could see the value.

Tbf we don't even Know if it's an attacker or a defender that's has done the tripping or been tripped.
I suppose we can assume it is the attacker because it denies an obvious goal scoting opportunity, but the wording of the question is so vague.

Even if it happens on the line, by making the foul a push/pull, we don't know if the foul ended inside the box if we're dissecting this awful question any further. Should never be asked, even if one is of course often going to go with YC/RC &pen.

I tend to be a bit pedantic (not a necessarily a bad quality in a referee) and I wanted to see if other refs agreed with me that this question was very poorly written. The answer is yes, other refs agree. So, thanks.

Maybe not, but think about the points that have been brought up on this forum as to how you get to the possible answers:

Is the line inside or outside the penalty area? This is factual and inside as everyone knows.
Has the foul actually been committed on the line or before it was reached?
Was the body of the attacker on the line or was this the contact?
Was there an attempt to play the ball?

I agree that the question is ambiguous, but as a learning tool, it's probably creating more impact to have it as a provocative question in an informal setting to stimulate discussion rather than a simple binary "that's the right answer" question.

The fact that 4 people could make 4 different assumptions about the missing information and get to each of the answers, all of which are correct in law is neither here nor there.

Back