A&H

lost sight of offender

SM

The avuncular one
tough old game tonight. Red vs Blue - Mid way through the second half, 2 Blue defenders tackle a red player on the half way line. Reds screaming for a sending off - I shoo the 2 red players away and am going to give a caution to the blue defender who went off his feet, but in dealing with the appealing reds I lose sight of the player committing the foul!!! Balls that is embarrassing. Such a rookie error.

Tried the general signaling to nobody in particular to see if the culprit makes himself know... no such luck. I call over a player who I know was in the vicinity but did not commit the foul. Give him a talking to while he protests that he is innocent. :confused:

"Doh" moments for the season so far: 1

The Referee Store
Oh dear, move on and put it behind you. Everyone makes mistakes and has a 'Doh' moment occasionally.

I also did something a little naughty. Was getting static from one of the more mouthy players. He always mouths off and for most of the game I was on top of him, which keeps him in check. Towards the end of the game, he was getting on my nerves so I called him over to caution. Lemon. He kept mouthing off so as he walked away (facing me still) I gave him a glare with a " say one more thing (name of player), go on I dare you". He made the locking lips gesture while glaring back. "Good man, intelligent".

Okay it worked, but if it hadn't worked and I had followed through and shown the second yellow I wouldn't have been too impressed with myself for goading him into the second caution/red. Live and learn.

Last edited:
Trick I was given but couldn't possibly recommend for finding the lost player. Call in the captain and a player already on a yellow. Tell both that someone has to be cautioned for the offence and it's going to be a second yellow unless they offer up the guilty player. Seen it done twice and it worked. Frightened the life out of me when I saw it.

I think that would have been a good way forward. I had a player who I knew was there, if I had said what you suggest to him then justice would have been served one way or another. Next time.

Or of course I could just not lose sight of the fouling little git next time! :D

Trick I was given but couldn't possibly recommend for finding the lost player. Call in the captain and a player already on a yellow. Tell both that someone has to be cautioned for the offence and it's going to be a second yellow unless they offer up the guilty player. Seen it done twice and it worked. Frightened the life out of me when I saw it.

clearly not an option if no cautions

taking the above scenario to an extreme, i assume you wouldn't be sending the keeper off if it happened in the opponent's half

risky strategy at any time and one that calls into question the integrity of the referee imho

That sounds like a very bad idea. If the captain is switched on he just tells you somebody that he is about to sub or somebody he isn't really bothered about being cautioned. So you end up cautioning the wrong person anyway and you've put your integrity into question.

Surely a good argument for numbers on front of shirts as well as back...and even top of sleeves for good measure

As you go along with your training and development, you will find that you do activities to help you practice this. It is imperative to maintain full concentration in situations where you are wishing to caution or send a player off regardless of what else happens. Worst case scenario, you have to deal with two different situations. In that case, I suggest shouting to the one who you want to caution but aren't dealing with immediately "Number 5, don't go too far, you're next." At least then you've said his number and committed it to memory.

You are right mate. It was just one of those moments - don't take your eyes off the guilty party unless you have seen his shirt number! Didn't help that both players on that wing looked very similar, same haircut, same colour hair.

Boot colour is what I go for when all else fails. And worst case scenario, point at one of the two, if he comes over and says nothing, book him; if he comes over and says "ref, it wasn't me" get the other.

Back