A&H

Look the part

Tino Best

RefChat Addict
Level 6 Referee
I did an under 9 game today as a favour and I made sure I was properly kitted out but at the same time there was an under 13s game going on and the FA appointed ref was in a track suit. He also allowed players to wear hoodies as well which is exceptionally bad. Whether I am doing OA football or under 7s if I am getting paid I will always be in full kit.

The Referee Store
Tinobest good afternoon..
Perhaps there is a reason why both the referee and the players were in hoodies and the ref in a tracksuit..
1. Did you have a conversation with that ref at all? ? I'm only thinking sometimes a conversation e.g. hey I like your tracksuit... might give you a hint why the ref is in a tracksuit.. or where did you buy your tracksuit from?? The ref might have taken the wrong kit bag with them to the match.
2. Players in hoodies.. could be due to an underlying medical condition.. for safety the hoods should always be tucked inside..
3. Perhaps the players did not have playing tops.. who knows..
4. I would have chatted to the referee myself and asked why.. but also approached the referee really in an educational angle rather then criticism or curioisty.. you are a referee your self, always support your fellow comrade/comrades because we are slated enough...which ever level of type of Football we work within..
Do hope this helps...
Yours in sports and play on..

No I didn't as my game was 2 25 mins half, so halftime was not at the same time and I had to go to another game after I had finished. I see this alot at young age groups although it is rare at U13s. Hoddies are not allowed, I think there is a safety issue as a hood can become untucked during the game. That team were in bibs so no the no kit is not applicable.The ref might have forgotten his kit but if you are responsible for reffing a game you should be responsible for having your kit with you. I think if you are being paid to ref you wear your uniform. It wouldn't vbe acceptable in my place at work if I wore something apart from uniform so the same rules apply as we are doing a job. Thats my opinion you should always look like you care.

Tinobest good afternoon..
Perhaps there is a reason why both the referee and the players were in hoodies and the ref in a tracksuit..
1. Did you have a conversation with that ref at all? ? I'm only thinking sometimes a conversation e.g. hey I like your tracksuit... might give you a hint why the ref is in a tracksuit.. or where did you buy your tracksuit from?? The ref might have taken the wrong kit bag with them to the match.
2. Players in hoodies.. could be due to an underlying medical condition.. for safety the hoods should always be tucked inside..
3. Perhaps the players did not have playing tops.. who knows..
4. I would have chatted to the referee myself and asked why.. but also approached the referee really in an educational angle rather then criticism or curioisty.. you are a referee your self, always support your fellow comrade/comrades because we are slated enough...which ever level of type of Football we work within..
Do hope this helps...
Yours in sports and play on..

STOP! You can't defend the indefensible. This sounds like it was just sloppy.

With out hanging out the ref to dry I spoke to my RDO and he is going to send a winter clothing email out. They did this last year saying use common sense if base layers don't match kits when it is cold, but he is going to state that hoodies are unaccepatable due to safety concerns

I have a simple solution for hoodies. Goal keepers at grassroots only. They can't have pockets and the hoodies must be tucked inwards at the neck. Works fine for most players.

I have a simple solution for hoodies. Goal keepers at grassroots only. They can't have pockets and the hoodies must be tucked inwards at the neck. Works fine for most players.

i'd suggest you don't do that tbh

no hoodies at all, this isn't a new thing, stemmed from when snoods were banned a good few years back

if they're cold wear a woolly hat

Back