A&H

Local Games

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
Had a game two miles down the road today. Realised on arrival that I knew half of the home team
Basement League - Truly dreadful pitch (not weather related) - CARs from hell (would've been wise to just sack them) - I was slightly Injured (mild sciatica)
Coincidentally (or not, me thinks), had a game to forget (or to remember if learning is the name of the game)
Noticed that my tolerance of dissent was distorted. Only subtly, but it doesn't take much to tip the balance
Had the GK loft a GK to a defender to nod back. Blew for it immediately (scenario discussed on here previously), IDFK on the edge of the GA. Mutiny ensues. Even the benefiting team argued that they didn't want the IDFK!! FFS!!
Last minute, home keeper collects ball, I glance away... away team attacker pokes it into an empty net to claw their deficit back to one goal. Momentary lapse, I've missed it! Goal awarded. Somewhat humiliated
Played a couple of minutes injury time in which I made sure the away team didn't get out of their own half, leaving the result intact 😉

I've had few games with significant mistakes/issues (a good thing, but not when it comes to having exit-strategies on tap!). I much prefer to rock up somewhere with complete anonymity. I'd handle the last minute goal differently in future. Hopefully, I won't need to

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Had a game two miles down the road today. Realised on arrival that I knew half of the home team
Basement League - Truly dreadful pitch (not weather related) - CARs from hell (would've been wise to just sack them) - I was slightly Injured (mild sciatica)
Coincidentally (or not, me thinks), had a game to forget (or to remember if learning is the name of the game)
Noticed that my tolerance of dissent was distorted. Only subtly, but it doesn't take much to tip the balance
Had the GK loft a GK to a defender to nod back. Blew for it immediately (scenario discussed on here previously), IDFK on the edge of the GA. Mutiny ensues. Even the benefiting team argued that they didn't want the IDFK!! FFS!!
Last minute, home keeper collects ball, I glance away... away team attacker pokes it into an empty net to claw their deficit back to one goal. Momentary lapse, I've missed it! Goal awarded. Somewhat humiliated
Played a couple of minutes injury time in which I made sure the away team didn't get out of their own half, leaving the result intact 😉

I've had few games with significant mistakes/issues (a good thing, but not when it comes to having exit-strategies on tap!). I much prefer to rock up somewhere with complete anonymity. I'd handle the last minute goal differently in future. Hopefully, I won't need to
Chin up BC. These games come round for us all every now and then.
Regarding the IDFK. You were incorrect to award it. The current guidance is that the GK should be retaken.
The law makers cannot decide whether it is an offence or not, so have decreed that it will be neither an offence, nor allowed, but that the GK should retake the kick.
I have not seen anything further on it so presume this to still be the case.

Ps you haven't told us what you thought went well in the game ;)

Echo above. Chin up.

One thing I have learnt is that before the game starts you need to flip your mindset to the positives you can get out of the game. Otherwise it would become an even worse nightmare with higher mistake rates and lower match control.

The overriding issue with this game was summed up by the title of my OP
We don't want to stumble across a game in which we've played Vets football with over half of the players in the last year. This through me out of kilter

That said, it's rare that I think about a game last thing at night. The deliberate trick thing, I can live with. I remembered it happening at the start of the season, but I mistook the outcome of the subsequent debate. The dissent tolerance problem was what it was

I lay awake thinking about a solution to a goal scored by foul play that I didn't see (but knew with a high degree of certainty what happened). The GK had the ball in both hands. I was momentarily distracted, only to find the ball now in the possession of the forward with only an empty net between him and my demise. Besides a freak explanation, only foul play could explain what I'd missed
I'm slightly tilted towards game management over AOL. On that basis, I should've taken a 99% punt and blown the whistle. I know that will upset some people, but the net result is a disastrous observation 1% of the time; with the same said about self-preservation

The good news is; I had a much tougher fixture this morning (top two Prem teams in my Sunday League's Senior Cup)
One well timed Sin Bin, one disallowed goal (contentious, but correct), one DOGSO (bang on!) and an effective word with the sideline
Underdogs won 1-0, handshakes all round (yes we're all now infectious)
Order & sanity restored :)

Last edited:
Yesterday and today, the players essentially refused any greeting other than handshakes

What's AOL?

"Application of the laws" I assume.

I.e. In this case, screw what the laws say, give the 'foul/whatever' simply for game management purposes, because he hasn't seen the incident.

Massive assumption on my part though.

Correct.. application of law
I hadn't seen (working alone or with CARs) something I knew had happened. In this instance a 99% guess would've been better than 99% grief

Gotcha. I dont think that making a gut-feeling decision is contrary to AOL. I've never agreed with the strict "can't give what you don't see" idea and I'm pretty rigid about the LotG being adhered to.

Back