A&H

Local derby

CallumRushton13

Level 6 Referee
This Saturday I've got probably my hardest match ever... 2nd division, local derby, between two teams known for playing to the limit and one team in particular is apparently very moany (the worst kind of team imo)...

Any tips on what to do and how to approach it?? My normal approach is to give a foul as early as possible in order to get myself into the groove, and to see if I can let the game flow as much as possible (ie not penalising soft pushes in the back etc, and playing advantage as much as I can). Now I just don't think that will cut it in this match...

Any tips from people who perhaps have a similar style to myself?? Or anyone in general really?? What do YOU do on derby days??

The Referee Store
Do what you would normally do.

The worse thing you can do is go in with pre-conceived thoughts on things you need to do differently simply because you perceive a possible problem. The better aim is to have plan B, C even D to bring out if the normal approach doesn't seem to be working or the players aren't getting the message.

Do you normally do a pre match speech to both teams pre kick off?
If so you could tweak it a little to let them know you are aware it is a local derby but the LOTG still apply and you will stamp on any nonsense whether that is the first or the last minute.
Have a separate word with both captains to remind them of their roles and ask for their help and not make matters worse if you call upon them to intervene.
Don't go looking for trouble as you shall surely find it.

I understand that you never actually reffed these teams yet, all you got is "they say that"
Now this is tricky, because if you change your way of refereeing only based on what other people said, you probably gonna end up regretting and ask yourself "maybe if I did just as usual, it would have gone better"

Do you normally do a pre match speech to both teams pre kick off?
If so you could tweak it a little to let them know you are aware it is a local derby but the LOTG still apply and you will stamp on any nonsense whether that is the first or the last minute.
Have a separate word with both captains to remind them of their roles and ask for their help and not make matters worse if you call upon them to intervene.
Don't go looking for trouble as you shall surely find it.

A pre match brief to both teams?

Don't do this. If you say you're going to do this or do that. What if the game doesn't need it, and you end up not doing what you've promised, instantly going against your word.

Just referee what's infront of you. Do your best and enjoy the experience. It can only make you a better referee.

A pre match brief to both teams?

Don't do this. If you say you're going to do this or do that. What if the game doesn't need it, and you end up not doing what you've promised, instantly going against your word.

Just referee what's infront of you. Do your best and enjoy the experience. It can only make you a better referee.

That makes no sense Jacko - if you let the teams know what you expect and the match doesn't require your intervention then all is good, there is no promise broken. I would never advocate painting a black and white picture of how I intend to referee if that is what you thought I meant. Never make a rod for your own back.

Do you normally do a pre match speech to both teams pre kick off?.
Why do you? IMO it's just a flag to teams that you're inexperienced, it achieves nothing!!
It just wastes the player's time and ultimately any pre-match 'lay down the law' is completely pointless. Just referee the match.

As for the derby? Approach it like any other, but be aware of the potential to boil over. On that, you probably want to be extra aware of potential late tackles, possible cheap shots in a tackle, or players squaring up behind play. Don't think you have to 'kill' the game though. Often derbies are hard, fast but fair. Enjoy the show!

Why do you? IMO it's just a flag to teams that you're inexperienced, it achieves nothing!!
!
Whatever works for you I guess, like refereeing it is often about opinions. I combine it with the jewellery and stud check. Do you do those and if so when?
"Moderate swearing and DON'T swear at me, play to the whistle" = inexperienced! At park level I have to be mindful of local houses and more importantly children's play areas. It has worked very well for me through the years with managers and players referring to it during and after the match in a positive manner - the players end up refereeing each other on these two points which is great.

Its. Just. Another. Game. Take a breath in and out between each word.

That'll see you through. It may even be the best you have this season!

Went very well thank you!! Was tough in the first 10 minutes, with very big whistles for free kicks, very picky over where throws were taken etc, and worked hard all game to be closer than usual to play. Very few complaints, and only one caution for c2...

Both teams said I was one of the best refs they'd had all season, and CEO who was down watching was also very happy. Just one thing I could've got involved in but I knew that anyway...

Happy days

Back