A&H

Living from refereeing

Karl J.

Hi

I work hard and I feel tired most of the time, I can train only once a week due to my work schedule and when it comes to refereeing my body usually in pain and I can feel that it affects my performance. I wish I could train everyday and become full time referee and concentrate only for this.

Considering I rent single room and I live for £ 500-600 pcm, which level do I need to reach so I could live just from refereeing?

The Referee Store
English Premier league mate. If your a good enough referee.

Sorry for the bad news but Welcome to the forum mate.

L4 referee = £34 per game so you need 20 games per month to pay for your room and a sandwich.
You need a couple of decent seasons and a good one to get to L4. Then you're going to have to please everyone to get yourself to L3.
Sorry mate refereeing is a decent way of keeping fit, staying involved in the game and simply getting out with a bunch of different guys each week. It can bring in some money for something useful; car, beer, holiday or in my case it pays my tax bill each year.
What it won't do is keep you alive. Sorry to burst that bubble.

L4 referee = £34 per game so you need 20 games per month to pay for your room and a sandwich.
You need a couple of decent seasons and a good one to get to L4. Then you're going to have to please everyone to get yourself to L3.
Sorry mate refereeing is a decent way of keeping fit, staying involved in the game and simply getting out with a bunch of different guys each week. It can bring in some money for something useful; car, beer, holiday or in my case it pays my tax bill each year.
What it won't do is keep you alive. Sorry to burst that bubble.
It's okay. I didn't expect anything else. I guess there is only one way to do this is to get part-time job then, because my full time job is really killing my refereeing career. :(

Family, Work, Football. In that order.
At some point we all move football up the list but someone always gets hurt.

Old man advise coming up. When you have a job it's easier to find a job than if you don't have one. Stick with what you have and look for something that suits your life needs.

Reactions: SM
It's all good advice above. The only way to make real money from refereeing at the lower levels is to referee at the small sided centres. Some referee's also double up as the money man, but it does mean a 7-day a week commitment. Refereeing 11 aside and/or mini soccer at the weekends can make up to £150 around here but it's a hell of strain on you. Illness, injury or bad weather strike and you're in the doo-doo.

Speaking as someone who was unemployed through no fault of his own and not eligible for JSA, trying to survive on just referee income is hard, and those winter months? I hope I never end up there again.

Crickey. Out my way we get £35 a match for grassroots Sunday league.

Depends on comp. That example is all in so probably a fair chunk less but its a shame level 4 doesn't reflect a higher fee to the extent one would imagine.

L4 line on FA cup £25!!!

Sunday leagues around here are £25 plus 32p/mile and the other is a flat fee of £28.

Around here it is £18 plus expenses at 25p per mile (Saturday league). Some clubs hate giving you that!!!

Is that Welsh pounds??;)
Goes to show that it's not only the CFA's who aren't consistent.
Anyone on here able to give us a figure for one of the big cities. Manchester, London etc.?

We are down in deepest darkest West Wales, some of the looks I get from secretaries when asking for say £25 all in. I've even had one demand my post code to prove I was being honest lol. But money is tight at grass roots so I don't get too worked up about it.

Money from refereeing is always handy and pays for a takeaway or beers, I'm sure if I had the determination to save it up for the season I'd make enough for a holiday at the end.

How many of you out there put the match fees earnt during your self assessments eh? It's income after all.

. Manchester, London etc.?
Manchester league, £27 middle + 30p/mile, £20 line + 30p/mile.

Youth Leauges, the one I do is just outside of Manchester, and U11&12=£17, U13-16 = £20, U17&18 = £25.

Academy games range from £25-30

Mine all goes down for tax purposes. I had a call from the Inland Revenue the year I qualified asking for a detailed break down of my refereeing finances. So it all goes through just like my business.

MHRML not far outside London. U9-10 £20, 11-12 £25, 13-14 £28, 15+£30 all in, no travel expenses. Another league closer by which goes into Cambridgeshire is about £5 less per age group.

Back