A&H

Liverpool vs Benfica vs offside

The Referee Store
He ruled 2 goals offside that VAR later showed to be onside => issue is they were at least a yard or 2 onside, certainly not hairline .. interesting debrief I imagine

Yeah I found them. Pretty good examples why the delayed flag exists.

Long ball with an attacker offside in relation to a nearby defender but kept on by a further away defender. Extremely tough calls to get consistently correct.

Looks like there were three or four other tight decisions involving goals that they got correct earlier in the match.

Last edited:
I think there were also other goals that were very tight non-offside and got correct.

They were difficult ones but it was torture for the Benfica strikers who kept putting the ball in the net - and then no one could trust the AR’s decision.

Two things for me: Liverpool’s high line creates a lot of these situations that are challenging for the ARs. Also the late/no flag contributes to the general unease and mistrust of officials.

Here, VAR did its job and rescued the officials - though ironically we would have ended up with the same amount of goals and sane result if we had stuck with the on field decisions;)

Back