A&H

Liverpool v Palace Zaha goal

LC

Level 6 Referee
Something I noticed about this goal which I haven't seen anyone else mention

No question the original ball across was offside but ignoring that, after Zaha shot it hits another Palace player who is over the goal line. Goal given to Zaha as ball was already in before hitting the other player

To my knowledge if you are over the goal line then this is classed as you standing on the goal line? Meaning the player was in an offside position? Would it of not been correct to give offside rather than a goal or should a goal be given as it has already crossed the line?

Sorry I do not have a link to a video of the goal

EDIT--- Thinking about it actually that would be like giving offside even if the ball had already gone out for a goal kick. So probably best not to flag for it:D

The Referee Store
Something I noticed about this goal which I haven't seen anyone else mention

No question the original ball across was offside but ignoring that, after Zaha shot it hits another Palace player who is over the goal line. Goal given to Zaha as ball was already in before hitting the other player

To my knowledge if you are over the goal line then this is classed as you standing on the goal line? Meaning the player was in an offside position? Would it of not been correct to give offside rather than a goal or should a goal be given as it has already crossed the line?

Sorry I do not have a link to a video of the goal

EDIT--- Thinking about it actually that would be like giving offside even if the ball had already gone out for a goal kick. So probably best not to flag for it:D
Yeah, you've answered it yourself.
If the player is inside the goal and the ball crosses the line before that player interferes with play then it is a goal, even though he is in an offside position, he isn't offside, because he isn't active.

That should have been offside though, Zaha has strayed off when the ball is played. The deflection off skyrtl is just that....

And that penalty should have been a freekick just outside the area for the challenge by Lucas. Clearly outside with moss having a seemingly great angle...

(Full disclosure; yes i support Liverpool!)

stevie g needs to go before he turns into a completely miserable sod.

But i agree with you on both points above, monkey. quality of refereeing in the premier league is not what it should be.

That should have been offside though, Zaha has strayed off when the ball is played. The deflection off skyrtl is just that....

And that penalty should have been a freekick just outside the area for the challenge by Lucas. Clearly outside with moss having a seemingly great angle...

(Full disclosure; yes i support Liverpool!)
Could you argue though that by attempting to block the cross, it was a deliberate play of the ball by the defender?

I don't think you could convincingly - It was an attempt tackle/block rather than him playing the ball.

Reference being over the goal line, counting as being on the goal line. This is a consideration applicable to a defender. It is to stop a defender simply stepping off the FOP to make an attacker offside.

Back