A&H

Liverpool v Newcastle

The Referee Store
If he'd been in an offside position would Mike Dean have had to disallow this goal for blocking the GK's view?

Seriously, we're used to referees acting as extra defenders, but not often as attacking decoys.

Only he will know why he had to make that move, he was perfectly fine where he was

cant really see from clip but is that his face right at the end going,' dam'

MD is the Magpies' Nemesis
Every team has one. We get had the sum total of nothing offa him for a decade or more
That's not fandom so much, cos it's just the way it goes. He's formerly, arguably, the best Ref I've seen in the EPL (in his day)

My youngest son said on Sunday (just after Madison's cheating), 'how come we're the only team in the Premier League who are no good at cheating?'
Chip off the Old Block that lad!
To that end, I think Hayden and Shar could do with cheating lessons. Although MD was looking the other way, it was noticeable that both looked up to see where the ball was before 'playing dead' on the edge of the Goal Area. It was all a bit like the DeGea thing a few weeks back. Anyway, it gave MD his usual opportunity to strut around nonchalantly as Newcastle players licked their wounds

MD is the Magpies' Nemesis
Every team has one. We get had the sum total of nothing offa him for a decade or more
That's not fandom so much, cos it's just the way it goes. He's formerly, arguably, the best Ref I've seen in the EPL (in his day)

My youngest son said on Sunday (just after Madison's cheating), 'how come we're the only team in the Premier League who are no good at cheating?'
Chip off the Old Block that lad!
To that end, I think Hayden and Shar could do with cheating lessons. Although MD was looking the other way, it was noticeable that both looked up to see where the ball was before 'playing dead' on the edge of the Goal Area. It was all a bit like the DeGea thing a few weeks back. Anyway, it gave MD his usual opportunity to strut around nonchalantly as Newcastle players licked their wounds

Its possible the Geordie Messiah used up all Newcastles cheating allowance during his trophy laden spell fleecing his boyhood club.

Recieve ball with back to centre half, fall down, win foul, score from resultant freekick, constantly playing up to the proven fact he was strong and would not go to ground unless felled.

Obvs the big talking point from this one is the (fake) head injury before Jota’s goal.

Talksport are all over it but I think MD got it right and we have to trust our referee here.

Two barcodes have gone down in the box after body contact. One gets up, the other has a look around and decided to stay down head in hands. MD does not stop thd game. Goal.

I think the player has acted poorly, MD has seen/sniffed it, and the DeGea precedent from the other week makes it a non-story.

Interesting that there is debatd about retrospective punishment for feigning head injuries…

Obvs the big talking point from this one is the (fake) head injury before Jota’s goal.

Talksport are all over it but I think MD got it right and we have to trust our referee here.

Two barcodes have gone down in the box after body contact. One gets up, the other has a look around and decided to stay down head in hands. MD does not stop thd game. Goal.

I think the player has acted poorly, MD has seen/sniffed it, and the DeGea precedent from the other week makes it a non-story.

Interesting that there is debatd about retrospective punishment for feigning head injuries…

something needs to be done about feigning injuries as a tactical ploy. it's yet another blight on the game and if we (refs in general) facilitate it then it will only become more prevalent.

not entirely sure what the solution is as it would be extremely hard to be able to tell 'tactical injuries' apart from true injuries.

either way, i guess the more teams and refs play on and the more goals are scores like this and the de gea one, the more players wont do it...

something needs to be done about feigning injuries as a tactical ploy. it's yet another blight on the game and if we (refs in general) facilitate it then it will only become more prevalent.

not entirely sure what the solution is as it would be extremely hard to be able to tell 'tactical injuries' apart from true injuries.

either way, i guess the more teams and refs play on and the more goals are scores like this and the de gea one, the more players wont do it...
Or like when managers force their players back on the field despite being a few yards off, and in obvious pain, just to go straight back down a yard on the pitch to try and get the game stopped (ball kicked out for throw in to waste yet more time and slow game down).
This happened during week with Martinelli/Arteta in the Arsenal game.

Or like when managers force their players back on the field despite being a few yards off, and in obvious pain, just to go straight back down a yard on the pitch to try and get the game stopped (ball kicked out for throw in to waste yet more time and slow game down).
This happened during week with Martinelli/Arteta in the Arsenal game.

yep that annoyed me too. that just has to be a mandatory caution, both the player and manager

This I think makes exactly the right point. As much as we all hate fake injuries, a player faking a knock to the ankle etc isn't really hurting anyone, it's "just" bad sportsmanship. And I think there are ways of solving that - allow physio's onto the pitch while play continues, as they do in rugby for example.

But anything that ends up starting a culture of "boy who cried wolf" around head injuries could potentially end up making a referee delay life-saving treatment and that's unacceptable. This one incident needs to be directly turned into a new law that seriously punishes any fake head injuries, and it needs to be added ASAP.

Loved the fact that both MOTD pundits claimed it was 'written down' and in the 'guidelines' that play has to be stopped for head injuries.

The fact that one/both may not have been 'seriously injured' never even entered the discussion! :rolleyes:

I do agree that 'tactical' injuries are becoming a problem.

At the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium recently the physios (away team!) were actually seen laughing and joking and winking to the crowd after treating an 'injury' - if even the medical professionals are joining in, what chance have we got of sorting out the genuine from the fake?

Last edited:
Back