A&H

Liv - Nap

Thought AR1 near side was poor. 3 early flags, timid with incidents in front of him.
VVD could have been red but I think there was no intent and that played well to the ref,
Ref had a poor first half with soft fouls, a couple of poir decisions, too pernicious,

Initially signalled a throwin when Salah was fouled right in front of him. Then wiggles his flag, while still signalling direction, a couple of seconds after the ref gives the foul.

The Referee Store
That's absolutely a red.

Becasue VVD's already got it and hit it clear first? It's a slide rather than a jump, he easily gets the ball first and his foot only even raises slightly off the ground because it bounces off the ball. There's a reason VAR doesn't use stills for severity of contact decisions.
You should watch the twitter clip :)
1) He may have hit the ball first. As a referee you should know that doesn't necessarily absolve him - he's come through, straight leg, studs high, and nearly breaks his opponent's leg. I'm not even sure how the ball would be relevant there.
Sure, it might be IF it was one of those freak accidents where his leg bounces off the ball - but we can clearly see that's not the case. The studs are high right from the start.

Severe match-changing error on a blatant red card on this one, ref would have failed his KMIs. VAR would have overturned this.

Screenshot_20181212-081319__01.jpg

Airplane signal. Basic stuff you tell junior / first year referees about and don't expect to see in a champions league game.

Screenshot_20181212-174417__01.jpg

Last edited:
Initially signalled a throwin when Salah was fouled right in front of him. Then wiggles his flag, while still signalling direction, a couple of seconds after the ref gives the foul.

Ha Ha i seen that, it was like 3 seconds after the "foul" right i front of him.

It was like a well i dont think its a foul but crowd behind me do so il half give it.

Reactions: JH
Imagine the furore if you posted RC on a LFC fan site! It was bad enough me defending some of my cards issued on an old league website.

It would be justified. I can't believe he only got a yellow and I think most fans in reflection would agree, although there isn't a 100% agreement on this site

It's a red card, straight legged, studs showing, high, etc. Probably not easy to spot real time though.

Some worrying phrases being used on here. "no intent", "got the ball", etc, neither of which are at all relevant when determining SFP. Had Meerten's leg been planted and the challenge had broken it would anyone saying no red card change their mind?

I wouldn't say getting the ball or intent are not relevant at all. I'd say no intent or getting the ball don't rule out a foul or SFP. The same way an injury does not necessarily prove a foul or SFP. They are all considerations one uses for a decision.

For example, if I see a player goes into a challenge with a clear and specific 'intent' of hurting/injuring an opponent, I am going to take a card out, the colour of the card depends on other considerations. So in this case, intent is very much relevant.

Can we please abstain from putting SFP, when I sometimes scan read stuff my mind has to work overtime to check If I've not said something silly and not to the Lotg! 👍

Reactions: one
Back