A&H

Liv - Nap

JH

RefChat Addict
Van Dijk takes ball before connecting studs into Merten's ankle. Ref plays on. Then stops. Yellow card. Should've been red.

Oh, and McManaman on commentary says the challenge was 'fine' and 'shouldn't have been a yellow card'.

The Referee Store
Here's the 'not even a yellow' challenge:
DuKYIs7W4AAG6t7.jpg:large

Here's the 'not even a yellow' challenge:
DuKYIs7W4AAG6t7.jpg:large
We all know stills shouldn't be used for that kind of thing. Van Dijk gets the ball, skims off the top and catches his ankle, a yellow is about right. Ref doesn't help himself sell the decision by seeming to play on and then stopping for the FK a good few seconds later, surely it can't have been a shout over comms for a decision in the centre circle?

Ref's given a couple of very soft ones after that - a nothing coming together on the sideline and then a really really soft one on the Napoli GK must mean Mane's approaching PI despite not doing anything wrong!

We all know stills shouldn't be used for that kind of thing. Van Dijk gets the ball, skims off the top and catches his ankle, a yellow is about right. Ref doesn't help himself sell the decision by seeming to play on and then stopping for the FK a good few seconds later, surely it can't have been a shout over comms for a decision in the centre circle?

Ref's given a couple of very soft ones after that - a nothing coming together on the sideline and then a really really soft one on the Napoli GK must mean Mane's approaching PI despite not doing anything wrong!
Look at the state of Merten's ankle in the picture, does Van Dijk endanger his safety? Absolutely.

The ball appears behind the Blue player?

I will await with interest the real clip but it looks blood red, not just red

It's because Van Dijk took the ball with the bottom of his boot first, then connected with the player. Ref didn't even give a foul at first. Liverpool fans and players were fuming that it was even a foul. It's because he got the ball first, fans and players simply cannot understand that it doesn't matter. I've seen people on twitter saying 'football is dead if that is a foul', no clue whatsoever.

Ref doesn't help himself sell the decision by seeming to play on and then stopping for the FK a good few seconds later, surely it can't have been a shout over comms for a decision in the centre circle?
Either comms or he has seen Mertens in pain and thought s***...

Becasue VVD's already got it and hit it clear first? It's a slide rather than a jump, he easily gets the ball first and his foot only even raises slightly off the ground because it bounces off the ball. There's a reason VAR doesn't use stills for severity of contact decisions.

Either comms or he has seen Mertens in pain and thought s***...
I'm not sure which is worse. In this position of the pitch, it should be his call and his alone. And we all know that injuries can happen even as a result of perfectly OK challenges - he can stop play if he realises a bad injury has occurred, but he clearly didn't see the contact initially, so should be restarting with a drop ball not a FK and card.

Again, VAR dosen't use slo-mo for making these decisions either.

Ok seen the twitter clip
Ball irrelevant
Red 7 days a week, twice on a Sunday

Turns out the camera dont lie..l

Can you go re-read your directives on sfp, ideally before your next apt, so the players can be safe in the knowledge you might be able to take the appropriate action on a sfp tackle please. Thanks

So you didn't know what you were talking about, picked a fight with me and then tried to claim I was starting the argument? Pretty childish behavior don't you think? I have no intention of letting misguided opinions and factual inaccuracies go unchallenged, which is surely the only reason you want me to block you rather than just doing it yourself?

I stated I had only seen the pic

But now I seen the clip

Thats textbook red. Unless you are happy to neglect your responsibilities

I would expect a red card for this in the Champion's League, based on the bar being slightly lower with each step towards elite football
At my level (the anus of the game), it might depend on the feel of the game and if anything had prompted the disregard to opponent's safety

Becasue VVD's already got it and hit it clear first? It's a slide rather than a jump, he easily gets the ball first and his foot only even raises slightly off the ground because it bounces off the ball. There's a reason VAR doesn't use stills for severity of contact decisions.

Getting the ball first has less than zero influence on a referees decision

I would expect a red card for this in the Champion's League, based on the bar being slightly lower with each step towards elite football
At my level (the anus of the game), it might depend on the feel of the game and if anything had prompted the disregard to opponent's safety
Completely agree, whether right or wrong.

Thought AR1 near side was poor. 3 early flags, timid with incidents in front of him.
VVD could have been red but I think there was no intent and that played well to the ref,
Ref had a poor first half with soft fouls, a couple of poir decisions, too pernicious,

Thankfully not as bad as the two daft pens in the Gala game! The guys really needed VAR tonight as much as I hate to say it!

Back