A&H

Lille vs Villa

Joshref

Martinez booked during penalty shootout after being booked in normal time. Cue the pandemonium when he isn’t sent off

The Referee Store
A bit infuriating with the commentators, especially from Lucy Ward who is normally quite clued up on the laws. They went from him being sent off, to the yellow just being showed as a warning, to Douglas Luiz having talked the referee into rescinding it, before they eventually presumably had someone in their ears telling them that cautions in the game don't carry over.

I've seen so many people on social media who run their mouth about referees regularly saying 'well I had no idea about this'. Go figure...

TNT have now uploaded the full penalty shootout (
).

I particularly love the commentary at end (starting at 13:38).

"He escaped by a tiny, tiny fraction of the law of yellow card, red card from being sent off".

Must admit the "law of yellow card, red card" is a new one on me 🤣.

It never fails to amuse me how little, pretty much all football stakeholders (apart from referees), know about the LotG.

An opportunity for us Refs to celebrate that we're better than everyone else cos we know the Laws, especially the ones that make little or no sense, are rarely seen and confuse the life out of everyone watching on???
Martinez..... green light to misbehave during the shootout that determines the outcome of the game. Gets Referees off the hook anyway as can't see a keeper being sent off in that situation in the absence of the Law caveat

TNT have now uploaded the full penalty shootout (
).

I particularly love the commentary at end (starting at 13:38).

"He escaped by a tiny, tiny fraction of the law of yellow card, red card from being sent off".

Must admit the "law of yellow card, red card" is a new one on me 🤣.

It never fails to amuse me how little, pretty much all football stakeholders (apart from referees), know about the LotG.

In fairness, it's a law that very rarely will pop up so I'm not going to critisize the commentators for not knowing(and as a fan I didn't either). I think the referee could of shown the card more clearer than he did which no doubt didn't help with the confusion but the way he talked to Luiz with his hand gestures was quite clear watching on in hindsight the referee knew the law perfectly and did all the right things.

In fairness, it's a law that very rarely will pop up so I'm not going to critisize the commentators for not knowing(and as a fan I didn't either). I think the referee could of shown the card more clearer than he did which no doubt didn't help with the confusion but the way he talked to Luiz with his hand gestures was quite clear watching on in hindsight the referee knew the law perfectly and did all the right things.

I can deal with a lack of knowledge of law from almost anyone in football. After all, none of us are born experts. Even referees.

Indeed, over the past few seasons I have had multiple, genuinely interesting conversations with players/managers who have asked for clarification on often obscure and specific points of law.

I think the commentators in this instance though are more than fair game for criticism because as @RustyRef highlighted above (and is illustrated in the video), they have attempted several times to call the referee out as 'wrong', when in fact he is clearly correct.

I'd just have so much more respect for these commentators if they had just said, "We haven't got a clue, we'll find out what's happened and then get back to you" rather than trying to come up with the most ridiculous and implausible explanations.

Out of interest why were the LOTG changed to allow players to get two yellows and no red?
I vaguely remember it was related to encroachment becoming a mandatory caution, they were worried that KFTPM would become farcical with keepers getting sent off. Might be totally wrong on that though 😂

Martinez..... green light to misbehave during the shootout that determines the outcome of the game.
Not quite got him off the hook. The caution might not have counted as a second one, but it does count as a caution so he is now out of the semi-final for receiving three cautions. So at least some level of karma.

Not quite got him off the hook. The caution might not have counted as a second one, but it does count as a caution so he is now out of the semi-final for receiving three cautions. So at least some level of karma.
So regardless he would have been suspended! The commentators need not moan.

I think the referee could of shown the card more clearer
The people playing and commenting on the game should know the laws though. Despite this, I agree. I've only had to do this once in a friendly that was more heated than it should have been, and for some reason had a penalty shootout. To make my life easier, once the card was in my hands, cue the shouting, I calmly explained before I showed the card that the player would not be sent off. Unsurprisingly, it stopped very quickly.

With the introduction of VAR goalkeepers coming centimetres off their line and saving the penalty was bein punished,with a yellow card.

Wiping out cautions for shootouts came in the same year that goalkeepers were warned for their first offence (instead of being cautioned).

They suspended cautions for coming off the line during shoot-outs at the women's world cup. That tournament probably one of the majority instigators of the later changes

They suspended cautions for coming off the line during shoot-outs at the women's world cup. That tournament probably one of the majority instigators of the later changes
I think it might have been the direct cause because in one match a keeper got booked for doing this, and then as a result didn't even attempt to move on the other penalties. In the next round they removed the mandatory caution iirc.

Back