A&H

Liking the laws of the game

haywain

the voice of reason
Level 7 Referee
Twice in a few minutes, just now, a nice chap, on here, has quoted from the lotg in response to an o/p. He even got 'liked' twice for it on one occasion.

My first reaction was despair at the apparent inability of some people to pick up that slim volume once in a while and try to find the answer to the question that they have asked.

my despair increased as other people debated the point raised, equally ignorant of the relevant lotg, it would seem.

try as i might, i still don't really have a second reaction :(

i did however come to the conclusion that an index for the lotg might be a good thing .... assuming that people know how to use one, that is

The Referee Store
There is an issue with the way the LOTG is laid out. As you identify, no appendices is a flaw. Also having the laws and the interpretations seperate from each other seems a strange choice, just put them together for goodness sake!

Or you could do what I do which is download a pdf to my backup drive, upload a copy to my iPhone and then use the search function on either one to to help me find the relevant section. Type in a key word, such as throw-in, substitute and away you go. As you flick through the various listings your key word has, take a second to read the clause irrelevant to your search and pretty soon, you will know every law inside out and won't need the search function.

Technology, learning and experience working together ;)

Sorry for asking a question @haywain, I figured asking on here might be more interesting and lead to a bit of discussion, which it did, and the more knowledgeable members could explain more succinctly, which they did.

Sometimes there is a concrete answer to a question, where the LOTG or the Interpretations are without dispute.

Many other times, the precise nature of a real life incident can not be matched directly and - dare I say it - occasionally even the best of us misremember or simply aren't sure. I for one would rather that people asked - and felt able to ask without criticism - where there is uncertainty. Better that than be the referee who doesn't seem to care on a Saturday afternoon.

That said, an index of the LOTG/Interpretations would be great!

Seems that I rattled one or two cages with this one

Just to clarify, I neither suggested banning questions nor criticised anyone, I simply expressed an opinion

You book burners, you :)

*ahem* I hate to bring this up, but you just advocated (in a separate thread) not following a clearly written law of the game because you thought it ridiculous :D

*ahem* I hate to bring this up, but you just advocated (in a separate thread) not following a clearly written law of the game because you thought it ridiculous :D

There's a difference between not knowing a lotg and choosing to ignore one. Not that I ignore the tape rule, I hasten to add

I simply use the stepped approach. This season I'm pointing it out, next season they'll get their final warning and the season after that.....well, they can't say that they haven't been warned ;)

p.s. why does 'an lotg' sound better than 'a lotg'?

Back