A&H

Lewis Smith - PL Debut

Gabriel

Anyone know why they are putting a League 1/2 ref on PL this weekend? He has 8 Championship appointments (7 this season) but is not in SG2. Interesting move.

The Referee Store
Anyone know why they are putting a League 1/2 ref on PL this weekend? He has 8 Championship appointments (7 this season) but is not in SG2. Interesting move.
Similar level of experience to Rebecca Welch and Sam Allison then who got games earlier in the season

Similar level of experience to Rebecca Welch and Sam Allison then who got games earlier in the season
I thought of this but both are SG2, and Rebecca Welch has experience at WSL, UWCL, Women's Euro, and FWWC level as an international referee so I would consider her slightly more experienced. I agree about Sam Allison though.

I think it’s to do with the ERDP, and he doesn’t as such ‘have a level’. Or that’s what I have been told.
Apparently they are ‘reclassifications’ rather than promotions.
I don’t know much about this, but this is what I’ve heard.

Yes, down to the ERDP. Not just an EPL thing, L2B referees have refereed Football League games, and I'm pretty sure a 2A has done a Championship game. It does appear to mean that if you aren't selected for ERDP you have next to no chance of making it to the top level, but I guess the counter argument would be that if it improves refereeing standards then that is a downside worth having.

Don't know if there is a list of the ERDP members, I know a few of them but not all.

I've not seen Rebecca Welsh but I have seen Sam Allison on two games this season at Leeds. Quality referee who communicates well with the players and has the respect of all involved. If Lewis Smith and/or Rebecca Welsh are at a similar level, they deserve the chances they get.

I've not seen Rebecca Welsh but I have seen Sam Allison on two games this season at Leeds. Quality referee who communicates well with the players and has the respect of all involved. If Lewis Smith and/or Rebecca Welsh are at a similar level, they deserve the chances they get.
Was certainly (significantly) more impressed by welch on their prem debuts, but she didn't do as well in her 2nd game

I think it’s to do with the ERDP, and he doesn’t as such ‘have a level’. Or that’s what I have been told.
Apparently they are ‘reclassifications’ rather than promotions.
I don’t know much about this, but this is what I’ve heard.
It is to emulate the role of a full time official. The idea is to coach them up rather than have then observed throughout a season. They officiate at different levels and across pathways. Not all of them experience rapid escalation seen with the likes of those named above. At the end of the season, the coaches and management then decide where to reclassify them to, if at all.

Was certainly (significantly) more impressed by welch on their prem debuts, but she didn't do as well in her 2nd game
I agree she was less impressive second time around, but she did get the RC right imo in that game. I know a lot think she didn't.

I saw Sunny Singh Gil on a Championship game recently and I thought he was outstanding - akin to watching a Premier League ref drop down to do a Championship game.

He now seems to be back on L1/L2 games.

Back