A&H

Level 7 !!!!!?

The Referee Store
Many refs do mate. Especially the older ones.

I myself stayed at 7 for a couple of years then went to 6 then on to 5 the season after that. I only did that to attain the level I needed to do most games at Grass Roots level. At 52, I'm in my comfort zone at level 5 and have no desire to go to 4 and be "owned" by the FA unless I've closed dates.

Most of the guys I qualified with are all 3s and 4s now but they spend a lot of time refereeing and running lines up and down the country. I prefer to stay where I am. If that's how you feel then you're one of thousands. :)

I'd have stayed seven but decided I needed to consolidate and get more confidence by getting to level six....all for my benefit

Many refs do mate. Especially the older ones.

I myself stayed at 7 for a couple of years then went to 6 then on to 5 the season after that. I only did that to attain the level I needed to do most games at Grass Roots level. At 52, I'm in my comfort zone at level 5 and have no desire to go to 4 and be "owned" by the FA unless I've closed dates.

Most of the guys I qualified with are all 3s and 4s now but they spend a lot of time refereeing and running lines up and down the country. I prefer to stay where I am. If that's how you feel then you're one of thousands. :)
Just out of interest, how hard is it to maintain a proper life, have a full time job and be a level 4/3? I want to get to that level in the future and just wondered what it’s like. I know a level 3 in the EFL but would feel a bit rude asking him

I stayed at 7 as I didn't want to join the Submissive Club!!! :smoke: and we all know the first rule of submissive club!!

Just out of interest, how hard is it to maintain a proper life, have a full time job and be a level 4/3? I want to get to that level in the future and just wondered what it’s like. I know a level 3 in the EFL but would feel a bit rude asking him

It's difficult, no point in saying otherwise. More so at level 3 as the travelling increases, as does the amount of time you need to get there before kick off. In the middle that is down to you, most level 3s say between 90 and 120 minutes before, but on the line it is down to the referee. Once you get to 3e, so line on National League Premier, it is common for them to want you there by midday for a 3pm kick off and 5.30pm for 7.45pm kick offs. There are extra formalities at that level like safety briefings, so there is a reason for being there earlier.

It can be done, but if you have a 9-5 job you will need to have an understanding with your manager where you can leave early and make the time up. I live in North London and went to places like Eastleigh, and Salisbury on Tuesday nights, these are long journeys where I was leaving at 2pm and not getting home until well after midnight, sometimes closer to 1am.

I’ve been actively ref-ing at Level 7 for the last three years (and enjoying it!)

I may well join the promotion programme this year, in the main to get some feedback and develop my game. If successful, I’ll most likely stay at six - given my own circumstance I’m not going to change leagues.

The only slight advantage (to me) of going to 5 is there a s an U18 floodlight League that says one of the three should be a 5. However, I regularly do the line on said league, and am increasingly doing middles - got asked to do a middle (they were short) did a good job and they’ve already asked me back to do the middle for their next couple of games (officials sourced by club in this league)

I’m glad I didn’t rush into the promotion process. (And I’m an “older” ref, just the right side of 50 (for few more months at least!)

Depends whats going on in life. I work a 9-5 now but did shifts previously. I have no kids and outside of work and dog walking I dont do much other than reffing. Its a big part of my life and I enjoy it. I kno I cant do social on a Friday night and I know I might have to be out late 1 night in the week.
Its all about personal priorities, which as you get a little older set themselves really.

I’m glad I didn’t rush into the promotion process. (And I’m an “older” ref, just the right side of 50 (for few more months at least!)

I ticked that box two years ago, its Roy Rogers with snap, crackle & pop, that's your legs and knees the day after a tasty game!!!

Last edited:
Depends whats going on in life. I work a 9-5 now but did shifts previously. I have no kids and outside of work and dog walking I dont do much other than reffing. Its a big part of my life and I enjoy it. I kno I cant do social on a Friday night and I know I might have to be out late 1 night in the week.
Its all about personal priorities, which as you get a little older set themselves really.
Are you in S6 @JamesL , I might pop down one weekend and see how the professionals do it!! No pressure like!! :smoke:

It’s probably the biggest goal I have to aim for. I’m doing an apprenticeship and obviously taking it seriously but I’m gonna do everything I can to be able to do this as a career. Cheers

... one of the positived about being in a small capital city with great transport links and lots of small club footy pitches -minimum travel times. It looks like I might have started too late to get to travel up North on an 8 hour train in the top two divs but still trying. In the meantime: Tournaments Abroad;)

Question) As the promotion season runs from March 1st, is it likely that a candidate will be assessed before the playing season ends (March 1st thru May)? Or do the assessments tend to happen in the following playing season?

You can do, when I went from 7-6 I had two assessments between March and May.

It all comes down to how many observers are available and I think that priority is given to those going 5-4 as well

It will all change soon anyway as the promotion season will be aligned to the playing season, as it is already at senior levels.

Back