A&H

Level 7 - 6

JAARef

Level 6 Referee
I'm sure this has been answered before but what is the main difference between L7 & L6? I know it says 'County' but what level does that cover.

I've been doing Youth football so the levels in open age don't mean too much to me.

The Referee Store
It may vary where you are but down in the south west there’s very little difference between the leagues you do as a 7 or 6.
In theory it should see you officiate in a higher standard of football but in practice it depends on the quality of those ‘higher’ leagues.

Further to Will's in terms of leagues very little but you are more likely to receive better appointments in cup competition as to the county your are a higher level.
Ok practise whether it actually works that way is another matter.

What I will say is that the promotion process allows you to receive direct impartial feedback on your performance and advice and guidance on strengths and weaknesses which is invaluable in making you a better referee. So even if you aren't wanting to progress all the way to L4 and beyond the process is still very much worth it from that angle even if the games/leagues don't change a great deal

In the Midlands they are always begging for assistants at that level last minute so can't see that being enforced.
It was down here, as the FA took away the appointments from the County and do them themselves. They asked the appointments officer for recommended assistants but he wasn't allowed to nominate any Level 7s, no matter how many years they have being doing them - ie me!:oops:

I did run into a couple of officials of a club I used to regularly line for - I explained why they hadn't seen me and they did say they wondered why the mileage claims had gone up this season!

It was down here, as the FA took away the appointments from the County and do them themselves. They asked the appointments officer for recommended assistants but he wasn't allowed to nominate any Level 7s, no matter how many years they have being doing them - ie me!:oops:

I did run into a couple of officials of a club I used to regularly line for - I explained why they hadn't seen me and they did say they wondered why the mileage claims had gone up this season!
Hey Paul, have you considered going for promotion on the women's pathway? It's open to all and I'm sure you'd be back doing (at least) WNL lines pretty quickly.

Yeh, move to Hertfordshire and I'll come down and tickle your tummy a couple of times. Just get wide and play me a few tunes with your whistle
CAN'T FAIL - GUARANTEED!

Hey Paul, have you considered going for promotion on the women's pathway? It's open to all and I'm sure you'd be back doing (at least) WNL lines pretty quickly.
Hello Russell,

That is a thought. What are the criteria?

I've done some women's middles on the Womens National Reserve League.

* Edit * - Ignore that request, Middlesex have given me the information - I'll have a ponder!

Last edited:
Thank you for everyone's replies! What's the difference on thr mens/women's pathway - I've only seen one pathway?

Thank you for everyone's replies! What's the difference on thr mens/women's pathway - I've only seen one pathway?
Women’s pathway is shorter, as you will see if you visit The FA's website.
You need to consider travelling time and costs, as senior women's football is not readily available in some areas of the country.

Women’s pathway is shorter, as you will see if you visit The FA's website.
You need to consider travelling time and costs, as senior women's football is not readily available in some areas of the country.
Other key difference is the day of the week. Vast majority of women's football is played on Sundays so this pathway is well suited to those referees with existing playing / watching / family commitments Saturday afternoons.

From what I have found, L6 will get you appointments in the higher divisions of the Sunday and GR saturday leagues. You might also find you will get offered some middles for U18/U23 for some of the slightly better leagues, also.

Back