A&H

level 5-4 fitness

The Referee Store
i agree with u but i did stop 5 times 15-20 seconds at a time
Definitely get out and do some training, maybe the couch to 5k would be a good route to go down? If you’re stopping 5 times to complete the test, that’s almost stopping once a lap which if I’m being honest, is quite a lot to make up in 3 weeks

Physio reckons my hamstring tweak is grade 1 and I'll be running again within a week or two. I've got some meds to quell muscle spasms because the injuries are setbacks from having a fenestrated (now healed) L5/S1 disc. The motor nerves are probably slightly upset... will take a little while to settle down. So whilst I ought to back reffing in no time, I'm told that sprinting flat out is risky for the next 6 to 12 weeks
There's a big difference between 80-90% and flat out
Certainly, impromptu games of rounders (on v tired legs with no thought to warm-up!) with the kids are off the table (especially on 'gameday eve')

Physio reckons my hamstring tweak is grade 1 and I'll be running again within a week or two. I've got some meds to quell muscle spasms because the injuries are setbacks from having a fenestrated (now healed) L5/S1 disc. The motor nerves are probably slightly upset... will take a little while to settle down. So whilst I ought to back reffing in no time, I'm told that sprinting flat out is risky for the next 6 to 12 weeks
There's a big difference between 80-90% and flat out
Certainly, impromptu games of rounders (on v tired legs with no thought to warm-up!) with the kids are off the table (especially on 'gameday eve')
Can you tape it for extra stability?

Can you tape it for extra stability?
Yes, I mean playing with the kids in the park was just an innocent but foolish mistake. I'd ran a Step 5 line on the Tuesday, trained fairly intensely on the Thursday, before jumping into the kid's game on the Friday with tired legs
When you've behaved without a care like this for all your adult life, it's just a case of accepting that I can't act without precaution again. Warming-up (something I've always been dismissive of), strapping, heat treatments are all things I'm told to consider
I may have to think about how many games I take on as well. The other hamstring injury occurred after 3 games in four days, so there's a common theme

Yes, I mean playing with the kids in the park was just an innocent but foolish mistake. I'd ran a Step 5 line on the Tuesday, trained fairly intensely on the Thursday, before jumping into the kid's game on the Friday with tired legs
When you've behaved without a care like this for all your adult life, it's just a case of accepting that I can't act without precaution again. Warming-up (something I've always been dismissive of), strapping, heat treatments are all things I'm told to consider
I may have to think about how many games I take on as well. The other hamstring injury occurred after 3 games in four days, so there's a common theme
Yes. I learnt the hard way too. Used to get terrible shooting pain in my knee doing 3 or 4 games over a weekend.
So packed it in and now just do a sat game and a midweek if appointed.

Yes. I learnt the hard way too. Used to get terrible shooting pain in my knee doing 3 or 4 games over a weekend.
So packed it in and now just do a sat game and a midweek if appointed.
So I can't do my planned fitness test on the 25th, but there may be a sweep-up test in Sep for the stragglers. The sprints will be a risk for me tho

So I can't do my planned fitness test on the 25th, but there may be a sweep-up test in Sep for the stragglers. The sprints will be a risk for me tho

Grade 1 tear shouldn't effect your ability to run much. Non league players play through these all the time if they're being paid. But as you've said it's still a slight tear and you run the risk of further aggrevation.

I played through a grade 1 ligament tear in my knee to get through a cup semi final. The pain was trying to straighten my knee in the morning so I could get out of bed. Won't forget that in a hurry. But once I was moving it was almost like there was no injury. But there were points during the game blocking a shot or turning sharply etc where it felt very vulnerable indeed.

If you're desperate to go for promotion and it's a one off then it's worth the risk. If you can delay it or not overly bothered about achieving promotion this year then obviously its best not to. The advice from most is always to not risk it but actually if you have a goal and it's important to you then there's nothing wrong with taking the risk. It's part of sport. I suppose if you get through it then it was the right thing and if you get injured it was the wrong thing to do!!

I completed my fitness test last night. It’s the first time I’d ever done it and I’d not been able to do a mock run on the track before.

I’ve been running on roads and getting around 2.4km but doing it on the track and the adrenaline, as well as carb loading the day before, I managed to pass it at 2.77km. Was very pleased but goes to show that training on the road doesn’t quite replicate test conditions!

thought.i.would.let.u.all.know.im.waiting,to.hear.my,results.but.first,go.13.37ish.this.time.12.30.ish.so.in,4,weeks,i,found,a,whole.min,im,happy.with,/that

thought.i.would.let.u.all.know.im.waiting,to.hear.my,results.but.first,go.13.37ish.this.time.12.30.ish.so.in,4,weeks,i,found,a,whole.min,im,happy.with,/that
Great effort

30 seconds is nothing btw, you'd make that up with adrenalin and running with others on the day

Sit in just behind the chap at the front and just focus on staying there. If you've put the training in like you have then you know it's well within you to do it so it's just a case of pushing yourself on the day

Reactions: es1
Sit in just behind the chap at the front and just focus on staying there. If you've put the training in like you have then you know it's well within you to do it so it's just a case of pushing yourself on the day
I tried that once and the lad lapped me 3 times.... He must have hit nearly 4k and I only just made it as I killed myself early just sitting behind him and trying to stay there 🤣

I'm just discussing tactics with a fellow 4 for our test Sunday. I would recommend going at your pace, don't get caught up with anyone setting a really quick pace if you can't manage it. Don't want to go off too fast and run out of steam

Go at your own pace is my advice. If you blast off too quick trying to get time in the bank then you run the danger of getting your heart rate up too high too quickly and then really running out of steam.

Nice even pace, then a big effort over the last 400m normally does it (at least for those of us that are not able to do an extra couple of laps in the time allowed)

Reactions: es1
I would stress not trying anything new on the day. Someone may suggest an approach which makes sense but if you've not trained for it it could go wrong

That is extremely risky. There's a guy in London that's an ex-elite level athlete, sit in just behind him and you could be in serious trouble. Someone did 3.4km in a recent test, again you will be in a world of pain trying to keep up with him unless you are immensely fit.

This is why practising on a track is vital, you need to know your own pace and stick to it regardless of what anyone else is doing.

That is extremely risky. There's a guy in London that's an ex-elite level athlete, sit in just behind him and you could be in serious trouble. Someone did 3.4km in a recent test, again you will be in a world of pain trying to keep up with him unless you are immensely fit.

This is why practising on a track is vital, you need to know your own pace and stick to it regardless of what anyone else is doing.

I'd never been on a track before, it's just not possible for alot of people to do so depending on location but obviously I agree if you can.

Obviously it takes a bit of rationale and knowledge of your limitations, but if you can pick a pacemaker who's going to pass the test and isn't going unreasonably fast then they're extremely helpful. I found it so much easier having that, I settled into a rhythm and mentally it was alot easier as I was focusing on something other than my own thoughts.

A few of us went of at a silly pace really but then settled in and just stayed there. But if someone is doing a little faster then on the day that should be fine to follow.

3.4km is 17km/hr. Impressive. I stopped my watch after 2.6km (ish) because we were told slow right down by the chap on the watch (it was very hot). I think a couple of us may have got close if we'd have pushed for the full 12 mins.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210909-070703_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210909-070703_Gallery.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 9
OK, so kept you waiting, but eventually did the fitness test today
Passed with a few seconds to spare
This is how I paced it, for anyone interested in such things. It's my preferred tactic to leave a bit in the tank rather than die at half way. Just takes a bit of discipline and faith to do it that way. I was knackered TBH and touched my HRmax on the finishing line
(200m split times)

1633275800265.png

Anyway, the level of sacrifice to pass was getting ridiculous. Saturday night last night, tucked up in bed 10:30 blowing zero on the breathalyser!
Seriously, I had to lose 25lb to improve by 250m from my previous attempt in Oct. So passing definitely did not come easy to me
Due to all the injuries, I was left with one chance to pass. Which maybe helped, because I maybe needed that ultimatum over the last 400m

Last edited:
OK, so kept you waiting, but eventually did the fitness test today
Passed with a few seconds to spare
This is how I paced it, for anyone interested in such things. It's my preferred tactic to leave a bit in the tank rather than die at half way. Just takes a bit of discipline and faith to do it that way. I was knackered TBH and touched my HRmax on the finishing line
(200m split times)

View attachment 5206

Anyway, the level of sacrifice to pass was getting ridiculous. Saturday night last night, tucked up in bed 10:30 blowing zero on the breathalyser!
Seriously, I had to lose 25lb to improve by 250m from my previous attempt in Oct. So passing definitely did not come easy to me
Due to all the injuries, I was left with one chance to pass. Which maybe helped, because I maybe needed that ultimatum over the last 400m

Top effort. Completely opposite tactics to myself but the beauty about fixed tests is there are 2 outcomes and how you get to the preffered one is irrelevant, what matters is getting there. Well done

Back