A&H

Level 4 promotion

The Referee Store
<<< '4' <<<

Getting promoted is kinda a side-show for me. Of course it's good that my Assessments were comfortably good enough to be nominated and it's good that the FA have accepted the nomination
But the achievement for me has been two fold
1) Passing the fitness test. Following some serious injury set-backs, it took me best part of 10 weeks to lose ~24lb in weight and some focused training to improve on the Cooper Test by around 500m... This is important to me, because setting & achieving difficult goals is not something everyone can do
(my average distance per game was up from 4.9 miles last season to 5.4 this campaign, peaking at 6.1m in one game)
2) It's more important to me to to pass my own self-assessment than it is to meet the Observer's expectations, although the two naturally go hand-in-hand. Overall, I'm very satisfied with myself because I haven't yet reached the limit of my comfort-zone. Indeed, despite Refereeing in front of hundreds of spectators (300+ several times and 533 once), I didn't feel out of my depth. That gave my self-confidence huge +ve nudge
So I'm very confident that I can do well as a L4 (This is somewhat unexpected for me believe it or not)

That's what I'll take away from the season. I've never had any aspirations, I'll Referee my games like their mine (and not the Observer's) and I'll continue to target giving the Clubs satisfaction with my service (because I value their appraisal & opinions). And if someone tells me they want me to do a game cos they think I'm up to it, I'll go and do the game to the best of 'my' ability

I think we think roughly along the same lines. Theres no shame in not having particularly high aspirations but also wanting to be good at what we do. Equally, there's nothing wrong with being ultra ambitious and driven. We are all different ages with different ambitions and at different stages in our life's.

As per your other message, I have self doubt and yet equally I know I am capable of refereeing a level 4. Not sure how that works but it's just how I am.

I rock up, do my best, have a drink and then go home and im happy at that. Repeat until cricket season starts :)

Now I know that I'm bullish and opinionated on the forum, but the truth is 'that I'm as riddled with self-doubt as anyone.' My achievement is not so much the promotion, but proving to myself that I'm suitable for Officiating when there's a bit of pressure applied; and that I'm fit enough to do it

Interesting post. I'm as confident as the next person, but put me on a football pitch and I've always experienced doubts in that confidence that I don't get in any other areas. Ask me to present at board level at work and I'll walk away thinking I've done a great job, whereas that level of confidence usually won't exist even I think I've had a good game on the pitch.

Guess that is just what refereeing does to us.

Rusty.... Interesting post. (post 65)

Yes, that's the truth of it....
Keep in mind that I was hospitalised and crippled with an acute episode of depression fifteen years ago. I've used Refereeing as the final part of recovery really. I reckon any illness has the potential to break one's confidence, but in my case it's been possible to get back to 100% remission by gradual exposure to stressors over many years. I'm probably more robust now than I've ever been in that respect

As you know, I can be a bit 'anal and a pain in the arse' (there's a pun in there somewhere) when it comes to opinions, but what probably doesn't come across at all well on a Forum, is that those opinions are mailable. I'm like an oil tanker in the English Channel though... it takes time for me to change direction and I can't do hand-brake turns

Anyway, I could write a book on self-doubt; but more importantly how to overcome it with assistance from professionals but also a spoon full of courage

Last edited:
Interesting post. I'm as confident as the next person, but put me on a football pitch and I've always experienced doubts in that confidence that I don't get in any other areas. Ask me to present at board level at work and I'll walk away thinking I've done a great job, whereas that level of confidence usually won't exist even I think I've had a good game on the pitch.

I find I’m the total opposite of this.

In everyday non-football life I’m fairly quiet, not particularly comfortable in social situations and probably lack a bit of confidence/desire to have any attention on me.

Put me on a football pitch though and I become a confident leader (whether playing previously or refereeing). I guess I have a football ‘persona’ that comes out. A pitch is where I’ve always been happiest!

It's the culture in football too imo. The referee is constantly questioned and thats bound to have an effect.

Delighted to have received a nomination for level 4 next year.

One question - does this mean I am guaranteed it? Or is it based on how many are needed in each county?
It means you have it subject to passing the L4 fitness test

It's the culture in football too imo. The referee is constantly questioned and thats bound to have an effect.
Really good point.

If you listen to commentary on the TV, there’s very little praise for a good decision.

Think about the difference between ‘the referee has just about got it right’ or ‘that’s a really tight decision’ versus ‘what an excellent decision that was, they’ve got that spot on from a great position’

Comes down to wanting to court controversy from the media and to deflect blame from the teams.

Post game interviews ‘the sending off really changed the game, didn’t it?’ Versus ‘you must be really disappointed with <x> for getting sent off today, he/she really let the side down didn’t they?’

Really good point.

If you listen to commentary on the TV, there’s very little praise for a good decision.

Think about the difference between ‘the referee has just about got it right’ or ‘that’s a really tight decision’ versus ‘what an excellent decision that was, they’ve got that spot on from a great position’

Comes down to wanting to court controversy from the media and to deflect blame from the teams.

Post game interviews ‘the sending off really changed the game, didn’t it?’ Versus ‘you must be really disappointed with <x> for getting sent off today, he/she really let the side down didn’t they?’

There was a Scottish commentator on the Europa League final who actually quoted law and explained it several times. It was very refreshing to hear from an ex player who clearly does.his research.

Made a nice change from Walton anyway!

Back