A&H

Level 3 promotion

The Referee Store
When will level 4 referees will find out regarding to level 3 promotion?
Usually couple of weeks after the season has ended and all marks have been submitted and compiled.
Are you in with a shout?
Best of luck if you are

Would agree

Alas I fell out of the running with my last assessment, nothing game where nothing happened. Exactly what I didn't need.
Ahh man! I'm in what would have been A for observers and was at the top of what would have been B for clubs but I Dont think I will get promoted as I'm mid "A" rather than right up the top 😩

Ahh man! I'm in what would have been A for observers and was at the top of what would have been B for clubs but I Dont think I will get promoted as I'm mid "A" rather than right up the top 😩

Still a chance...hopefully some of those above you don't meet the criteria so it bumps you up. I'd been 'A' all season till my last assessment too :(

Do they punish you for "nothing" games in England or is it just that it'll be an average mark?

Do they punish you for "nothing" games in England or is it just that it'll be an average mark?
I got 72 which is ever so slightly below average. The system makes it almost like a tick box exercise and if you can't demonstrate you can do certain things (dish cards/give kmis) then you struggle or need a good/generous observer to mark you up in other areas (fitness/match control etc)

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that when I went up it was still the old March to February promotion season, hence why I'd already been told.

I got 72 which is ever so slightly below average. The system makes it almost like a tick box exercise and if you can't demonstrate you can do certain things (dish cards/give kmis) then you struggle or need a good/generous observer to mark you up in other areas (fitness/match control etc)
71.6 average down here so you'd be going well here with that

It's all observer dependent. I had a crazy game 8 yellows 2 red, no developments. 72.05. Then had a six nil no cards 72.85.

• Sad
Reactions: es1
71.6 average down here so you'd be going well here with that

It's all observer dependent. I had a crazy game 8 yellows 2 red, no developments. 72.05. Then had a six nil no cards 72.85.

I'd be flying with 72.3!

What annoys me is how the expected average mark has shifted over the course of the (extended) marking season. Right at the start I got 71.95 in a game with 7 cautions, massive con, penalty and no development. Now I get 72 for a nothing game. Shambles

I'd be flying with 72.3!

What annoys me is how the expected average mark has shifted over the course of the (extended) marking season. Right at the start I got 71.95 in a game with 7 cautions, massive con, penalty and no development. Now I get 72 for a nothing game. Shambles
It always happens when a new marking system comes in. It takes the observers a while to work out how to get the marks up and then the average goes up.

It doesn't matter how much the FA try and move it away from the mark and more about development, while ever there is a mark and that mark determines where you are in the merit table and ultimately who is promoted all involved will be mark focussed.

Reactions: es1
Just checked on Moas in Oct 2020 our pool average was 71.57 and as of now is 71.68 which sounds similar to what has happened up your way

The system makes it almost like a tick box exercise and if you can't demonstrate you can do certain things (dish cards/give kmis) then you struggle or need a good/generous observer to mark you up in other areas (fitness/match control etc)

That's a shame. Personally, I think if you get these games and nothing happens you should get the pass mark, whatever that is. I mean, we can't help it if a game is flat and nothing happens, so the referee shouldn't get hit for it IMO.

That's a shame. Personally, I think if you get these games and nothing happens you should get the pass mark, whatever that is. I mean, we can't help it if a game is flat and nothing happens, so the referee shouldn't get hit for it IMO.
The "pass mark" is lower than the current average mark.

There's not really a pass. There does need to be a way of moderating the nothing happened games.
To receive a mark below the average suggests below average performance when that might not be the case.
I put "pass" in inverted commas because the mark of 70 is the minimum expected mark at Level 4 or 3 in England, for example.
In games where the referee is not overly tested, observers look for the referee's part in it being an easier game to referee, movement and proximity, communication, management of situations (e. g. early corner kicks at each end) and the other elements which combine to create a good performance.
It is easier to increase one's mark in a more competitive game, but equally it is easy to decrease the mark.

Back