A&H

Junior/Youth Less tolerant and feeling better for it.

Yampy

RefChat Addict
In my relatively short refereeing career, I had yet to write a misconduct report until yesterday. More's the pity, it was in an U15 game.
This all coincided with a newer, tougher me who decided to be less tolerant of mouthy youths and their incessant whining and professional imitations. I approached both team managers for a CAR and was knocked back from both (not a great surprise for the home team but the away team declined to provide anyone even with the option of having both) so, I informed both managers of how I would do my best to control the middle, judge the in/outs, assess offsides, keep the game flowing and my decision, as always, was final.
The 1st half was competitive but I was pleased with the general behaviour and the lack of backchat but the constant calling for offside was grating. At half time, I called in the two team captains (both centre backs and main protagonists) to explain to them I wanted this to stop. I also repeated this to the team managers and reminded them who had declined my request for a CAR in the first place.
At this point I was enjoying this game. It was hard, competitive but fair and the players were concentrating on playing not moaning. The home team were coming back into the game having been 3-0 down at HT and the pressure was mounting so, there's was some dissent from one of the home players who questioned my fairness - I always "give them the free kicks" apparently. He was cautioned and he kept his mouth shut for the rest of the game.
The away team were defending as best they could but I awarded a free kick and one of their players kicked the ball away, he too was cautioned. Another had committed a couple of fouls and on his third challenge, I issued a stern warning that was his last. He didn't foul anyone else and remained competitive.
At the final whistle, I was very happy with my work. As I left the pitch, I heard a volley of abuse and swearing and on turning I realised I was the target of this tirade. I won't repeat the abuse but there's plenty of swearing and I was some kind of comedian. Thankfully, the home assistant manager had stepped in between us before the home goalkeeper could reach me. I felt calm and informed the player he would be reported for misconduct for the abuse and I advised him to calm down and leave before matters got worse. Sadly, he didn't and decided to take a swipe at me from behind the assistant manager. He made contact and it was only a glancing blow but contact nevertheless. I told him that would also be in my report and he's ushered away.
There's was some adrenaline pumping and I collected my bag and left before matters got worse. I can't explain it but I feel better for it. I was happy with my performance and the cautions had the desired effect during the game (the dissent and timewasting stopped and the 10 yards observed without issue) and even now I can't understand the reaction of the goalkeeper.
It is a sad situation but my I feel better for it. I don't want to be hit or abused again but now I have some idea on how I'll cope and despite it all, I learned a lot about myself which I can put to good use in the future.

The Referee Store
Are the teams not obliged by competition rules to provide a CAR. I would have said either you find me two CAR's or I am off home!

Second to Duncan's response...check your competition's rules and drop an email to your ref's sec...might be a league fine on their 'doorstep' sometime soon...?:D

Sounds like you managed a tough game quite well. U15s are the nicest bunch of lads in the world until they're getting beat... I can't understand the goal keeper though !
Did you have words with him during the game at all ?

Really sorry to hear that you were assaulted David, no matter what decisions you give, good or bad, o one deserves that level of abuse. As a relatively new referee myself it's never nice hearing of these situations but great that you deal with it well and stayed calm. Great to hear also then that it has spured you o too rather than knock you back!

Sounds to me like you controlled the game well if there was nothing really In it throughout the match, just crazy behaviour at the end.

Keep going!

Man alive, what is going on with players assaulting referees at the moment. No referee should have to put with that nonsense.

Glad you are alright. Get your reports in and let county do their work.

@David Sutton apologies, I didn't read you're whole post first and only caught what Duncan got from it...given the circumstances I understand if you're priorities are not so much as not getting any CARs but the assault...very sorry to hear this happened!

What is going on at the moment, that's two assaults in two days reported on here? It's almost beyond belief that a 15 year old can behave in that way.

Well done on handling what sounds like a difficult game really well. Get your reports in and let the FA do the rest; perhaps e-mail your league too regarding the failure to supply CAR's.

The way things are going, the next time Ross asks "what is missing from your kit bag?" Im saying pepper spray, riot helmet and nunchucks.

Pepper spray disguised as free kick magic line spray? :D

Sorry to hear that @David Sutton

Remember if you are still on the pitch you can still show a Red Card for the OFFINABUS and then add the VC towards you as a misconduct. Makes the report easier. Although hopefully there certainly wont be a next time.

It amazes me how many of our fairly small community of 1000 referees on here have been assaulted in the last month or so. Quite, no, Very concerning to say the least. No referee deserves that.

I guess you can say "When you fall off the horse the best thing to do is jump straight back on" but it takes some serious cojones to do it. Hat off to you David. Well done for not letting the B*stard get to you.

Let us know what happens and make sure you get a water tight report into the CFA and hopefully this clown gets a nice long ban for it.

The fact you can walk off the pitch knowing you had a good game is the main thing. The goalkeeper is clearly an idiot and heres hoping he gets the book thrown at him. From what you've written you've handled it really well, much better than most of us would.

Not trying to be clever, but at the full time whistle did you sense there was any anger towards you? As I would say its often worthwhile hanging around a bit longer so your not so close to the players coming off the pitch in this situation.. I've often been known to have a sort through my bag and get everything sorted in there taking a bit longer in order to make sure the players are well on their way to the car park by the time I'm leaving.

To reassure everyone, I'm fine. I had a good game I know I did. I'd tried to be less tolerant of their backchat and time wasting and the cautions I gave, I believe did the trick.
The incident after the game bemused me more than anything. I don't recall any interaction with the goalkeeper what so ever and I can't fathom his reaction. I have refereed them before and my impression of him was favourable.
I've written the report and the CFA have it and I'll let them deal with it. Yes, I was abused verbally. Yes, he attempted to hit him and yes, he did catch me with that attempt. I wasn't hurt and I wasn't scared but I'm taking a wider view on the matter. I don't want a repeat and nor do I want next weeks ref to suffer because of my inaction.
By a twist of fate, I have the same team again on Sunday but I may consult my local RA for advice on this one. I want to do it but it might not be the best policy. I'll let you know.

And finally, thanks for the words of support. Much appreciated.

The fact you can walk off the pitch knowing you had a good game is the main thing. The goalkeeper is clearly an idiot and heres hoping he gets the book thrown at him. From what you've written you've handled it really well, much better than most of us would.

Not trying to be clever, but at the full time whistle did you sense there was any anger towards you? As I would say its often worthwhile hanging around a bit longer so your not so close to the players coming off the pitch in this situation.. I've often been known to have a sort through my bag and get everything sorted in there taking a bit longer in order to make sure the players are well on their way to the car park by the time I'm leaving.
I wanted to get out of there @DaveMac. The club chairman was there and he was giving them a dressing down so I took to the road before they had chance to getting going. Plus they know which is my car.

Fair enough. Every situation is different and there never tends to be a right or wrong answer.

Certainly report it properly so other refs don't get hurt more. Its just luck that you didn't get knocked unconscious or seriously hurt.

Glad to hear you are going to report to protect next weeks ref. Hopefully the player gets a good few years ban.

To reassure everyone, I'm fine. I had a good game I know I did. I'd tried to be less tolerant of their backchat and time wasting and the cautions I gave, I believe did the trick.
The incident after the game bemused me more than anything. I don't recall any interaction with the goalkeeper what so ever and I can't fathom his reaction. I have refereed them before and my impression of him was favourable.
I've written the report and the CFA have it and I'll let them deal with it. Yes, I was abused verbally. Yes, he attempted to hit him and yes, he did catch me with that attempt. I wasn't hurt and I wasn't scared but I'm taking a wider view on the matter. I don't want a repeat and nor do I want next weeks ref to suffer because of my inaction.
By a twist of fate, I have the same team again on Sunday but I may consult my local RA for advice on this one. I want to do it but it might not be the best policy. I'll let you know.

And finally, thanks for the words of support. Much appreciated.

It sounds like you have done the correct business on the FOP.

One small point - the reports about the Away Goalkeeper shoudl have been two seperate reports - one for OFFINABUS, a second one for the assault (not for VC). The FA will deal with the assault case by immediately suspending him from the game (and if he turns up to watch on Sunday - get rid of him, he is banned from all football even as a spectator).

If you are unsure about doing the match - speak to the Ref Sec, he will either re-assign you or get a member of the League / FA to come down and watch. It is amazing how well behaved clubs can be when they are being watched!!

I did an U15 for my 3rd game and it was a horrible experience and since then I'm more than happy to card any age group if its warranted.
In the same game I stayed behind to allow the away team (the main shouters of abuse) to leave only to have the home manager come to me to have ago at some of the decisions so know its hard to leave sometimes.

Sorry about the assault, put the reports in and hopefully he'll be receive a lengthy ban.

With regards for you getting the same team this week, personally I would tell my ref secretary and request a different game. As soon as they see you all the anger they had at you will come flooding back and you may be in for a hard game. If you decide to do it then @lincs22 suggestion is a good idea, my mentor was at a game recently and stood behind the coaches with his badge on him. I had apologies from the pair at half time for any shouting they had directed at me.

I had three cards for the whole of last season all yellow and all in the last game, this season I'm up to double figures which is really sad given that through choice I only do youth football, I am pretty tolerate of the boys, which maybe because I work in a educational setting but, will not put up with any form of abuse.
If there is no CAR as far as I'm concerned there is no match, but it's easier for me because it's a league rule and the legaue fine for every infringement, do clubs learn??

Back