A&H

Lengths of halves

lukeleddy

What are the lengths of the halves in all of the age groups because it says minimum and maximum but i dont know the times.

The Referee Store
It depends on the competition rules, you need to check those as they will define it. For example, most youth leagues will be two halves but very often professional academy games are four quarters.

You won't get a definitive answer on here. As people have mentioned before it is different per County, Competition etc. If in doubt, check with your appointments secretary.

Seriously though, below is a capture out of my Football Association's competition rules. Yours may be different.

1536423075920.png

However, please note that you can't just take the timings given by @one and apply them to your games. If you do, and these are not the correct durations for your competition, the games you have refereed using these durations would be subject to being ruled invalid.

I have refereed in competitions where the timings were different to these.

Check with the coaches. They know to the second how much injury time should be played and will know how long the halves are. I thought in England they are pretty standard. But check with your RDO he should know or the secretaries of the youth leagues you officiate in.

Check with the coaches. They know to the second how much injury time should be played and will know how long the halves are. I thought in England they are pretty standard. But check with your RDO he should know or the secretaries of the youth leagues you officiate in.

That's risky. Yes, they should do, but they don't always.

No referee should ever be going into the game not knowing the exact rules for that competition.

That's risky. Yes, they should do, but they don't always.

No referee should ever be going into the game not knowing the exact rules for that competition.

I agree with this 100%. I had a coach ask me how long the halves were. I outlined that for that age group it was 30mins per half, and he was pretty adament that it should've been 35. But according to the league handbook, it was definitely 30 mins. The league's coaches haven't yet received their handbooks, so no idea whether the rule had changed since last year.

Last edited:
Back