The Ref Stop

Leeds Vs Newcastle

And so what if it was deliberate? Deliberate handball is not a caution. It has to SPA, attempt to score a goal, failed attempt to stop a goal or be a persistent offence.

To be fair it does not help people and fans alike when the co commentator thinks he's getting a second yellow presumably because they see it all the time in UEFA competitions and leagues around Europe. Do think the PL has got it right though in that unless it's a SPA/DOGSO then no card should be shown.

Apparently Hooper did give the Leeds defender a straight red rather than the second yellow that was initially advertised, he did seem to take quite a fair bit of time to show it like but maybe the AR was in his ear saying it's outside the box.

I do like watching Hooper referee, he seems to enjoy it and has a smile on his face at times which is good too see.

The Ref Stop
Apparently Hooper did give the Leeds defender a straight red rather than the second yellow that was initially advertised, he did seem to take quite a fair bit of time to show it like but maybe the AR was in his ear saying it's outside the box.

Ah yes you’re right. I thought the TV showed it as a 2nd yellow at the time, but it’s definitely showing as a straight red now

well, that is what the Laws say, after all….(though there could be unusual scenarios that could be another form of USB)

But clearly other leagues/UEFA take a far more strict application both in terms of giving penalties for almost any sort of handball and then punishing it further with a yellow card hence why fans and even referees on here seemingly confused why no yellow was shown in this incident even though it seems PL will only produce a card if it was SPA/DOGSO.

But clearly other leagues/UEFA take a far more strict application both in terms of giving penalties for almost any sort of handball and then punishing it further with a yellow card hence why fans and even referees on here seemingly confused why no yellow was shown in this incident even though it seems PL will only produce a card if it was SPA/DOGSO.
Again, that is exactly why IFAB changed the language around tactical handling so that tactical handling only applies to SPA. IFAB felt that cautions were being given that were unwarranted and they changed the definition exactly to stop those “oh, it’s a handball, have to give a card” mindsets.

I must be getting old, bitter and desperate but I thought the referee had a poor game for both sides. Dealt well with "technical" issues (DOGSO outside the penalty area, player removal of shirt, goalkeeper delaying restart, dissent) but his judging of player contact offences seemed off. Onward to the last two games. Just hoping we don't have Messrs Coote or Kavanagh appointed. Tierney and Jones would be my choice.

I must be getting old, bitter and desperate but I thought the referee had a poor game for both sides. Dealt well with "technical" issues (DOGSO outside the penalty area, player removal of shirt, goalkeeper delaying restart, dissent) but his judging of player contact offences seemed off. Onward to the last two games. Just hoping we don't have Messrs Coote or Kavanagh appointed. Tierney and Jones would be my choice.
Whilst I would admit that Hooper probably allows more contact between players than other officials do, I think this is greatly appreciated by most if not all of the players. Have a look at Hoopers relationship with players, it is 2nd to none. If anything, it’s probably his biggest strength

Mods!!
Dirty Leeds fan post alert!! :D :p

Whilst I would admit that Hooper probably allows more contact between players than other officials do, I think this is greatly appreciated by most if not all of the players. Have a look at Hoopers relationship with players, it is 2nd to none. If anything, it’s probably his biggest strength
Agree, and that interaction with players has grown with his confidence, which in turn has come from finally being given a run of games including a go at the bigger ones. When he first got onto SG1 I wasn't sure about him, but now I think he is one of the best. Some have suggested the fact he was an ex-pro makes him a better referee, not really sure I agree as he never really was a pro given Swindon released him aged 16, although he did go onto play semi-pro for a bit.

Agree, and that interaction with players has grown with his confidence, which in turn has come from finally being given a run of games including a go at the bigger ones. When he first got onto SG1 I wasn't sure about him, but now I think he is one of the best. Some have suggested the fact he was an ex-pro makes him a better referee, not really sure I agree as he never really was a pro given Swindon released him aged 16, although he did go onto play semi-pro for a bit.
Agree- I think he was a little slow to get up to speed with the Premier League. But now that he has, he’s flying.

If FA Cup is genuinely given on merit, he’d be my pick this year

Back