The Ref Stop

Leeds Vs Newcastle

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Safe to say there won't be many games where you will get 2 of the most clear cut penalties you will ever see in such a short space of time.

Clumsy challenges at best. Not sure what Big Sam was spouting off at the 4th official about?

The Ref Stop
Newcastle arguably could have had a 2nd penalty, definitely goes down as "seen them given". Will be interesting if it gets discussed in Howard Webb's VAR slot on MNF.

Junior Firpo manages to avoid a second yellow for a handball....

And having just given the keeper a yellow, the keeper keeps trying to delay the penalty. I wouldn't give a second yellow, but I'd be making it clear that he is very close to one....

Yet more ridiculous "defending" for Newcastle's 2nd penalty. Would have been funny to have seen Robles get a 2nd yellow for his continued delaying tactics after his 1st yellow, got a warning off Simon Hooper after the goal was scored and Big Sam mouthing off again.

Yet more brainless "defending", day to forget for Junior Firpo.

Suspect Leeds might be getting a phone call on Monday after a "fan" confronted Eddie Howe in the technical area! :eek:

Junior Firpo manages to avoid a second yellow for a handball....

And having just given the keeper a yellow, the keeper keeps trying to delay the penalty. I wouldn't give a second yellow, but I'd be making it clear that he is very close to one....
Why should it have been a caution?

Another really good performance by Si Hooper, and a good bit of input by VAR for the handball

Not sure why anyone believes there was a need for a second caution on the handball. Not needed at all

I thought Firpo was getting a red for a DOGSO with that shove on the edge of the area but was just a yellow so presumably it wasn’t clear cut?

And so what if it was deliberate? Deliberate handball is not a caution. It has to SPA, attempt to score a goal, failed attempt to stop a goal or be a persistent offence.
Ok, I'll expand...
A deliberate handball that stopped Isak from having an attempt to cleanly header the ball towards goal. This surely falls under attempting to stop a goal.

Ok, I'll expand...
A deliberate handball that stopped Isak from having an attempt to cleanly header the ball towards goal. This surely falls under attempting to stop a goal.
Bad wording on my part. failed DOGSO. As in it would have been a DOGSO but a goal was scored.

Ok, I'll expand...
I don’t think the touch actually stopped him from having a clean header. The touch was that minimal that I don’t think it even changed the trajectory of the ball

What I will say though, I do think this would probably get given as a caution abroad or in CL/EL game

The threshold for handballs certainly seems a lot lower in Europe. Wasn't that long ago in La Liga when it was more surprising to see a handball decision not followed by a yellow card.

The threshold for handballs certainly seems a lot lower in Europe. Wasn't that long ago in La Liga when it was more surprising to see a handball decision not folloed by a yellow card.
And IFAB changed the language about tactical hand balls because they thought unwarranted cautions were being given. (They took out the part possession and only left SPA.)

Newcastle arguably could have had a 2nd penalty, definitely goes down as "seen them given". Will be interesting if it gets discussed in Howard Webb's VAR slot on MNF.
If it follows the MLS mode, the review will be focussed on times where the VAR was involved rather than where the VAR did not recommend a review. I would expect that to be the case—at least to begin with.

I don’t think the touch actually stopped him from having a clean header. The touch was that minimal that I don’t think it even changed the trajectory of the ball

What I will say though, I do think this would probably get given as a caution abroad or in CL/EL game
Agree, the trajectory of the ball didn't really change. It didn't stop a promising attack, it enhanced the attack as it turned a possible chance into a penalty with an 80% chance of scoring.

Clear dissent from Rodrigo not cautioned fairly early on, and Robles should have had another yellow at the second penalty (that particular decision to not issue the second caution spoiled a good refereeing performance overall).
Trippier should also have been cautioned for a reckless foul on Gnonto.

Back