A&H

Leeds vs Chelsea

Joshref

Straight red card shown! No doubt, horrific foul in my opinion. Great call by referee.

Surely no one can have any complaints over Dan James getting his marching orders there

The Referee Store
Commentators did their usual best to shed doubt on the decision despite it being an excellent piece of refereeing by Taylor.

Couldn't have been in a better position if he tried and there was an obvious pause/thinking time before reaching for the red.

That's a shocker! Didn't realise how bad it was in real time, but it gets worse with every viewing.

Never been Anthony Taylor's biggest fan (2 FA Cup Finals particularly spring to mind), but he got that one spot on, despite James' look of shock.

James should have been in the book for his earlier dive. Not the cleverest "challenge" by Phillips on Pulisic either!

Disgraceful challenge, I'm amazed Kovacic wasn't more injured than he ended up. Really goot spod from Taylor real time, my initial reaction was there was something wrong but I didn't realise until the replays just how bad it was.

Does kind of rain on the parade of the thought that referees go safe with cautions and let VAR bail them out for SFP 😂

Disgraceful challenge, I'm amazed Kovacic wasn't more injured than he ended up. Really goot spod from Taylor real time, my initial reaction was there was something wrong but I didn't realise until the replays just how bad it was.

Does kind of rain on the parade of the thought that referees go safe with cautions and let VAR bail them out for SFP 😂

Anthony Taylor is a vastly experienced referee who is not afraid to produce a red card when needed and let's be clear here, if Taylor produced a yellow there then you would have to question whats going on especially as he was right on top of it.

Whether you like it or not, we probably seen more instances of yellow cards being overturned to a red card more often than what we might expect before VAR came in.

Losing your touch Rusty as I called this from at least 75 yards away as soon as James made contact. Horrendous tackle. Can only think he's double booked a villa with Ayling somewhere warm.

Exactly. This is a much more justifiable bottle-job than the Ayling one at the weekend too!

It's right under his nose so he might arguably be too close to get a good view, player did get the ball, contact point was pretty low and also on AT's blind side of the tackle too - any one of those could have been enough for him to err on the side of caution and go yellow. I would 100% have understood if this one needed VAR to help reach the correct decision, much more so than some others we've seen.

Actually Rusty, it suits the stats I posted the other day. 1 in 2 get given a straight red card with no VAR. Ayling didn’t, James did. I can still stick to my narrative 😉

Losing your touch Rusty as I called this from at least 75 yards away as soon as James made contact. Horrendous tackle. Can only think he's double booked a villa with Ayling somewhere warm.
But as you know, it is all about angles, and one that was probably easier to judge from a distance away. Taylor was possibly a little bit too close so I'd give him the credit of calling it right.

Back