A&H

Lee Mason

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
I thought we’d left the 2nd rate referees behind in the championship and below but today I witnessed a shocker by one of our learned colleagues. No issue with the goal, the result or the sending off but I’ve never seen a referee for a long time giving so poor decisions both ways. I’m usually the one around me sticking up for decisions but he was awful from the first whistle. He missed 3 mandatory yellows in the first half, then booked for an innocuous challenge by a Soton player. There was a pretty blatant hand ball too!. The red card, (seen live only) was no worse than the 3 challenges in the first half and baffled everyone as he’d let virtually everything go before it. He stopped play when we were attacking to tend to a player clenching his knee, if I could give a minus 1 out of 10 I would have. Again. no excuses that we lost, we deserved to, just a very poor, washed up referee stealing a living in the SG!

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Nailed on red, even your manager said he didn't have a problem with it.

Sounds like a case of sour grapes to me...

Completely not sour grapes, read my post!

I read it, sour grapes...

I only saw the game on match of the day, so it's hard to get an idea of his overall performance

I can see why the red card would have been confusing to people in the ground, but was high, late and he dragged his foot down the front of his opponents shin.

MOTD don’t cut it to make the ref look useless.
But he was equally useless for both teams! Just my 100% totally unbiased reflection on what I saw.
I’ve seen better parks refs!

There's enough doubt to keep the red card out of the sun
'Toe poke to the shin pad' would be one description

There's enough doubt to keep the red card out of the sun
'Toe poke to the shin pad' would be one description

Since when has doubt had anything to do with whether a foul is serious foul play or reckless?

While you could easily have sold a yellow in that situation, the red wasn't incorrect.

His challenge was late, high (just under the knee) and resulted in him dragging his studs down his opponents shin.

That challenge endangered the safety of his opponent and therefore could be viewed as SFP.

At match speed it looked innocuous, there had been worse, never a red in the championship 👍

Show me where in the laws it mentions match speed, or that the threshold for serious foul play changes depending on the league.

It was a foul, and I have explained why it could be see as serious foul play, but I concede that it could as easily been a yellow.

What happened in the championship is irrelevant, and as a free you should know that comparing completely different fouls is pointless and stupid.

Show me where in the laws it mentions match speed, or that the threshold for serious foul play changes depending on the league.

It was a foul, and I have explained why it could be see as serious foul play, but I concede that it could as easily been a yellow.

What happened in the championship is irrelevant, and as a free you should know that comparing completely different fouls is pointless and stupid.

You love a spat you don't ye!! ;) I said it looked innocuous at match speed, yes i was 60 yards away but even MOTD said it was harsh and they've had multiple views. Don't disagree that red / yellow were possibilities but judging on what had gone on previously in the game unpunished it was very harsh and totally unexpected!.... and yes, Championship and PL league fouls are very different threshold!!!

He's seen foot connect with a straight leg half way up shin, and I think if I saw that real time I'd be going red. The replay shows it was only really the toe connecting and there was minimal force, and if I saw that angle I'd be going yellow. That said, Chris Wilder agreed with red so perhaps the expectation in the senior game is that it should be red for that, or he hadn't seen a replay so had the first initial view as Mason.

Only saw the highlights so difficult to comment on overall game, but he did play an excellent advantage for the goal, even if it came with one of the weirdest advantage signals I've ever seen.

Since when has doubt had anything to do with whether a foul is serious foul play or reckless?

While you could easily have sold a yellow in that situation, the red wasn't incorrect.
You seem to be arguing with yourself
My point being that when in doubt (halfway between reckless and SFP), it's my style to keep the red card in the sky rocket with the yellow shining in the sun instead

View attachment 3706
Not CLEAR AND OBVIOUS apparently!! :)
Sorry @Sheffields Finest , not entirely with you on this one. Unclear whether the hand/arm was quite above shoulder level and it was a subjective decision. No surprise EPL VAR looked the other way
On the point of Lee Mason, he's not up to the level set by other EPL refs, but there's not much promotion/demotion between SG1/SG2. It seems like a closed shop

Sorry @Sheffields Finest , not entirely with you on this one. Unclear whether the hand/arm was quite above shoulder level and it was a subjective decision. No surprise EPL VAR looked the other way
On the point of Lee Mason, he's not up to the level set by other EPL refs, but there's not much promotion/demotion between SG1/SG2. It seems like a closed shop

Agree. Assuming we are talking about the A36 handling it then his arm doesn't seem to be above shoulder level and he is looking the other way. Haven't seen it live but given the body shape of the H5&7 and A3 I would guess it has gone over him and then been knocked back in by one of those behind him, in which case the ball has also travelled no distance at all.

Back