A&H

Leaving the Vicinity after a red card - Team Official

LOAFer

Level 6 Referee
After a player is sent off, law 12 is clear that they are required to leave the vicinity. This requirement is not clear for a Team Official after they have been shown a red card. What should be done - dependent on the type of game - if a Team Official has been sent off?

The Referee Store
After a player is sent off, law 12 is clear that they are required to leave the vicinity. This requirement is not clear for a Team Official after they have been shown a red card. What should be done - dependent on the type of game - if a Team Official has been sent off?
The 'vicinity' is a zone determined by the R
Generally speaking, back to the dressing room or car park. Certainly, in categorized football (on the ladder), this is enforced more rigidly
On a Sunday morning, it depends on the R's judgement IMO. My objective would be that (at a minimum), would be a distance from which the coach can no longer affect or influence on the game. Resistance to this mandate would risk the game being abandoned

I think it is transferable to players in reality.

I know that in some league rules it states where a Sent off team official must go.

In the absence of that I'm enforcing the same of a team official as I am a player

The 'vicinity' is a zone determined by the R
Generally speaking, back to the dressing room or car park. Certainly, in categorized football (on the ladder), this is enforced more rigidly
On a Sunday morning, it depends on the R's judgement IMO. My objective would be that (at a minimum), would be a distance from which the coach can no longer affect or influence on the game. Resistance to this mandate would risk the game being abandoned
Yes, I am comfortable with "the vicinity". Ultimately I do not want to see or hear them but your description does it for me. Where I am confused is what - in law - we do with a Team Official who has been sent off?

In stadium settings you'll often see team officials just step behind the barrier if dismissed.

Assuming you're talking parks level, I'd take the mindset that "the vicinity" is anywhere they have an impact on the match... be that by presense or, more likely, still gobbing off. if I can't see or hear them, and the game came move on uncompromised by their further actions... then that's the vicinity.

Last edited:
At grass roots, unless the manager has done something appallingly bad out of the blue, I will have already told him that unless he cuts it out he will be going where I can't see him and he can't see the pitch. So if he carries on I don't really have any wiggle room having already made that threat. Of course, the standard argument is "it's a public park, you can't make me go anywhere", to which I have a standard reply of "well the game isn't restarting until I can't see you and I will abandon it if necessary".

At senior levels there will normally be rules as to what happens. Don't know if it is still the same, but in contrib leagues they had to go back to the changing room or leave the venue and cannot watch any more of the game. That policy certainly improved manager and coach behaviour when it came in, as previously they could just jump over the barrier, or sit a couple of rows back in the stand, and carry on managing the team.

In the United States, we use the "sight and sound" reference. A removed coach or spectator must leave the area and not be in sight and sound of the field. So if I toss a coach and I can still see or hear him, I'm not restarting the match until this happens.

Now at the youth level, we do have some discretion with players to keep them on the bench under the direct supervision of the head coach. In many of my matches, the rules of competition will state that a player can remain on the bench under the head coach's jurisdiction as long as the player is behaving in a respectful manner. If the player isn't behaving well, the referee can make the player leave.

At grass roots, unless the manager has done something appallingly bad out of the blue, I will have already told him that unless he cuts it out he will be going where I can't see him and he can't see the pitch. So if he carries on I don't really have any wiggle room having already made that threat. Of course, the standard argument is "it's a public park, you can't make me go anywhere", to which I have a standard reply of "well the game isn't restarting until I can't see you and I will abandon it if necessary".

At senior levels there will normally be rules as to what happens. Don't know if it is still the same, but in contrib leagues they had to go back to the changing room or leave the venue and cannot watch any more of the game. That policy certainly improved manager and coach behaviour when it came in, as previously they could just jump over the barrier, or sit a couple of rows back in the stand, and carry on managing the team.

on the rare occasions I really have to remove say a coach, thats exactly my patter too.
of course they will first move away, but to say 10m from the pitch....
I then indeed am still not restarting, on the downside the players tend to get annoyed by this point, ' awww come on ref he is away/going'
but having instructed him to actually leave, then leave he must

its a messy affair and one i try to avoid but sometimes needs must.

Senior level here is simply out of the tech area, so they could simply jump the barrier, of course any further misconduct gets reported

Suppose better throw in the age old, am the physio too....

This becomes more tricky in youth football. I've never had to dismiss a youth coach. I'm not sure how this would work.

This becomes more tricky in youth football. I've never had to dismiss a youth coach. I'm not sure how this would work.
I think it is going to depend on local standards. Where I am, in general, if there is not a certified coach able to take over, then the game is abandoned.

(One competition has a rule that if the head coach or assistant coach is dismissed, then it's a forfeit, which is a big hit to the standings, as they also doc a team a point for a forfeit and a point for a dismissal. I actually had a coach who just couldn't stop and got set off with about 2 or 3 minutes left while his team was winning. So instead of +3, they got -2. Bizarre. Especially since what he was whining about wasn't really a big deal, but I had to deal with him because my AR called me over. And that is still the only coach I have tossed.)

Back